Hungarian Cauliflower and White Bean Paprikash
with egg noodles / green beans
Creamy, saucy cauliflower and egg noodles are an easy combination to love in this Hungarian dish that was requested by Cook Smarts members.
Smarts: The amount of flavor you get from your paprika will vary depending on how long the spice has been sitting in your pantry. Increase the amount a bit if you know your paprika is on the older side.
- Cauliflower - 16 oz, florets chopped
- Onions, medium - 1/2, chopped
- Bell peppers, red - 1, chopped
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Egg noodles - 8 oz (sub fusilli or rotini pasta)
- Chives - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Beans, white or cannellini (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Flour, all-purpose - 2 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1 Tbsp (use Hungarian sweet paprika if you have it, but regular paprika will work fine)
- Tomato paste - 1 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Green beans / Cauliflower / Onions / Bell peppers / Garlic - Prep as directed. Combine onions and bell peppers in one container. Store green beans, cauliflower, and garlic in their own containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Noodles - Boil noodles according to package directions. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chives - Chop chives.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- While oven is warming up, heat a Dutch oven with butter over medium heat. Add onions and bell peppers. Saute until soft, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, flour, and paprika and stir until no dry spots remain.
- Add tomato paste, tomatoes (including liquid), and stock over aromatics. Stir in cauliflower. Bring to a simmer, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Cover and simmer until cauliflower is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- While cauliflower simmers, whisk together oil, vinegar, and mustard. Toss with green beans.
- Spread green beans out on a sheet pan. Season with some salt and pepper. Roast until green beans are tender and brown in spots, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, ~15 minutes.
- Return to cauliflower and move pan off heat. Remove 1 cup / 237 mL of sauce from cauliflower (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing) and combine with sour cream. Pour sauce / sour cream back over cauliflower and add beans. Stir everything together to combine. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Squeeze lemon juice over cauliflower and top with chives.
- If noodles were made ahead, reheat in the microwave. (You can toss them with some oil or butter if they seem dry.)
- Spoon cauliflower and sauce over noodles. Serve green beans on the side. Enjoy!
Delicious! Full of flavor.0 Helpful
Fun to try something new but not my favorite flavor profile. I think it would have been better with chicken!0 Helpful
Yum I added mushrooms , it was delicious.0 Helpful
Easy, comfort food but still healthy0 Helpful
Used fresh paprika and still felt like this meal was missing something. I think seasoning the chicken ahead of time would be advisable.0 Helpful
Pretty good, my 3 year old liked it so I would say it is child friendly.0 Helpful