Hungarian Chicken Paprikash
with braised cabbage / green beans
Saucy chicken and creamy braised cabbage are an easy combination to love in this Hungarian dish that was requested by Cook Smarts members.
Smarts: The amount of flavor you get from your paprika will vary depending on how long the spice has been sitting in your pantry. Increase the amount a bit if you know your paprika is on the older side.
- Cabbage, any green - 8 oz, thinly sliced
- Onions, medium - 1/2, chopped
- Bell peppers, red - 1, chopped
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 6
- Chives - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 2 tsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1 Tbsp (use Hungarian sweet paprika if you have it, but regular paprika will work fine)
- Tomato paste - 1 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Green beans / Cabbage / Onions / Bell peppers / Garlic - Prep as directed. Combine onions and bell peppers in one container. Store green beans, cabbage, and garlic in their own containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Chives - Chop chives.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- While oven is warming up, heat a Dutch oven with first part of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add cabbage and apple cider vinegar with a pinch of salt. Saute until cabbage is tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Set cabbage aside, covered, to keep warm.
- Return to Dutch oven and add second part of cooking oil. Add chicken thighs. Cook on both sides until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes total. Set chicken aside.
- Add butter to pan and then onions and bell peppers. Saute until soft, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and paprika and stir for 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste, tomatoes (including liquid), and stock over aromatics. Bring to a simmer, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add chicken back to pan and reduce temperature to a low simmer. Cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes.
- While chicken cooks, whisk together olive oil, wine vinegar, and mustard. Toss with green beans.
- Spread green beans out on a sheet pan. Season with some salt and pepper. Roast until green beans are tender and brown in spots, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, ~15 minutes.
- When chicken is done, move pan off heat. Stir in lemon juice and season with some salt and pepper. Top with chives.
- Serve chicken and sauce over cabbage with green beans on the side. Enjoy!
Delicious! Full of flavor.0 Helpful
Fun to try something new but not my favorite flavor profile. I think it would have been better with chicken!0 Helpful
Yum I added mushrooms , it was delicious.0 Helpful
Easy, comfort food but still healthy0 Helpful
Used fresh paprika and still felt like this meal was missing something. I think seasoning the chicken ahead of time would be advisable.0 Helpful
Pretty good, my 3 year old liked it so I would say it is child friendly.0 Helpful