Hungarian Chicken Paprikash
with pasta / green beans
Creamy, saucy chicken and pasta are an easy combination to love in this Hungarian dish that was requested by Cook Smarts members.
Smarts: The amount of flavor you get from your paprika will vary depending on how long the spice has been sitting in your pantry. Increase the amount a bit if you know your paprika is on the older side.
- Onions, medium - 1/2, chopped
- Bell peppers, red - 1, chopped
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Pasta, gluten-free fusilli or rotini - 8 oz
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 4
- Chives - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Flour, any gluten-free - 2 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1 Tbsp (use Hungarian sweet paprika if you have it, but regular paprika will work fine)
- Tomato paste - 1 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Green beans / Onions / Bell peppers / Garlic - Prep as directed. Combine onions and bell peppers in one container. Store green beans and garlic in their own containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pasta - Boil pasta according to package directions. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken - Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Chives - Chop chives.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- While oven is warming up, heat a Dutch oven with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs. Cook on both sides until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes total. Set chicken aside.
- Add butter to pan and then onions and bell peppers. Saute until soft, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, flour, and paprika and stir until no dry spots remain.
- Add tomato paste, tomatoes (including liquid), and stock over aromatics. Bring to a simmer, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add chicken back to pan and reduce temperature to a low simmer. Cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes.
- While chicken cooks, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, and mustard. Toss with green beans.
- Spread green beans out on a sheet pan. Season with some salt and pepper. Roast until green beans are tender and brown in spots, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, ~15 minutes.
- When chicken is done, move pan off heat. Remove 1 cup / 237 mL of sauce from chicken (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing) and combine with sour cream. Pour sauce / sour cream back over chicken and stir everything together to combine. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Squeeze lemon juice over chicken and top with chives.
- If pasta was made ahead, reheat in the microwave. (You can toss it with some oil or butter if it seems dry.)
- Serve chicken and sauce over pasta with green beans on the side. Enjoy!
Delicious! Full of flavor.0 Helpful
Fun to try something new but not my favorite flavor profile. I think it would have been better with chicken!0 Helpful
Yum I added mushrooms , it was delicious.0 Helpful
Easy, comfort food but still healthy0 Helpful
Used fresh paprika and still felt like this meal was missing something. I think seasoning the chicken ahead of time would be advisable.0 Helpful
Pretty good, my 3 year old liked it so I would say it is child friendly.0 Helpful