Breakfast Bowl with Spinach and Mushrooms
with roasted potatoes / hummus / soft-boiled egg
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, sliced in half, quartered if large
- Chives - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Eggs - 8
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 6 oz
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Hummus - 4 oz
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Potatoes, Yukon gold - 1 1/4 lbs, 1/2" / 1.3 cm cubes
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Foil - for roasting
- Garlic / Mushrooms - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Potatoes / Chives - Prep as directed. (If making Wednesday’s meal, prep potatoes for that night at the same time.)
- Heat oven to 500F / 260C.
- Toss potatoes with cooking oil, paprika, and some salt and pepper (if making Wednesday’s meal, roast potatoes for that night at the same time). Spread out on a sheet pan (or two to prevent crowding). Cover tightly with foil and transfer to the oven. Steam potatoes for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 425F / 218C. Remove foil from potatoes and shake the pan. Continue roasting, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, until potatoes are tender, 20 to 25 minutes more.
- While potatoes roast bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Gently add eggs to boiling water and boil for exactly 7 minutes (this should yield cooked whites and runny yolks so adjust time if you’d like your eggs cooked differently). When eggs are finished, transfer to a colander and run under cool water.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and then mushrooms to heated oil. Saute until mushrooms are tender, ~5 minutes. Season with some salt.
- Add spinach and garlic to mushrooms and saute until spinach is wilted. (You can cover with a lid to speed this up.) Squeeze lemon juice over top. Season with some more salt and pepper.
- Peel eggs and slice in half.
- Assemble bowls with potatoes (reserve half if doubled) on the bottom. Top with mushrooms / spinach, eggs, and a spoonful of hummus. Finish with chives and hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy!
Probably one of our faves0 Helpful
This was fun! Great way to mix up our stale breakfast routine. I used the concept but improvised a lot. Modifications were: used TJs frozen roasted potato mix, asparagus and spinach for veggies and added some avocado.0 Helpful
I was surprised with how much we all liked this. We aren't picky eaters, but the flavors were more than I thought it would be while making it! Next time I'll make more so we can have seconds. The hummus was such a great addition, I never would have guessed that. This will be a favorite!0 Helpful
Easy and tasty! We're keeping this in our back pocket for weeks we need an extra meal and have a surplus of eggs from our chickens.0 Helpful
I did the eggs right!! And the whole dish was super yummy!0 Helpful
I was surprised by how well this worked. I thought the mushrooms and spinach might not work with the potatoes and salmon, but the salmon really worked nicely with everything. I did sunny side up eggs instead of soft boiled, and it worked really nicely.0 Helpful