Korean Portobello Burritos
with leftover rice / kimchi slaw / sesame cucumbers
Sweet and savory marinated portobellos are served with kimchi slaw and rice and rolled into a burrito for this East-meets-West mash-up that we first included in a meal plan in 2018.
Smarts: All of the components for these burritos can be prepared ahead of time - just reheat the rice and meat and assemble the burritos when you're ready to eat.
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp, grated
- Brown sugar - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Gochujang - 1/2 tsp (Korean red pepper paste; sub any hot sauce)
- Mushrooms, portobellos - 4, sliced
- Cucumbers - 12 oz, chopped
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Sesame seeds, white - 1 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Gochujang - 2 tsp (Korean red pepper paste; sub any hot sauce)
- Kimchi (opt) - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Coleslaw mix - 5 oz
- Oil, cooking - 2 tsp + 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Cilantro - 1/4 cup, leaves torn
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Tortillas, burrito-sized flour or corn - 4
- Basmati rice, cooked (leftover from Tuesday) - ~2 cups
- Make marinade - Chop garlic and grate ginger. Combine with brown sugar, vinegar (portion for mushrooms), soy sauce, and Gochujang (portion for mushrooms). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Remove stems and slice. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Marinate mushrooms - Combine mushroom slices with marinade. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make spicy yogurt - Combine yogurt with Gochujang (portion for burritos). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Kimchi - Chop kimchi. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate cucumbers - Chop cucumbers. Toss with toasted sesame oil, vinegar (portion for cucumbers), and sesame seeds. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make kimchi slaw - Combine kimchi, coleslaw mix, first portion of cooking oil, lime juice, and cilantro leaves. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse beans.
- Heat a large skillet with second portion of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms (with marinade) and simmer until mushrooms are tender, ~3 minutes. Add beans and stir until warmed through.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions.
- Reheat rice in the microwave.
- Give cucumbers a stir and season with some salt.
- Assemble burritos by spreading one side of each tortilla with spicy yogurt. Fill tortillas with rice, kimchi slaw, and mushrooms / beans.
- Serve burritos with cucumbers on the side. Enjoy!
So delicious! I marinated my steak for two days and it came out so flavorful. I accidentally made the steak "tough" because I spaced out and cut the steak with the grain instead of against. Oops. So follow their warning for tender steak bits. The kimichi is a must if you want that great spicy tang in the slaw. However, I personally think the sour cream and gochujang sauce isn't necessary to the dish. 5/5 will make again!0 Helpful
Getting the cucumbers and steak marinating a day in advance meant that this meal came together relatively quickly. Plus it was yummy - although there was no way all the filling was going to fit in a single tortilla.0 Helpful
i really liked the flavors but the meat came up hard and chewy.0 Helpful
Absolutely fantastic! I'd eat this every week. Easy and yummy and filling!0 Helpful
Great flavors, and easy to put together!0 Helpful
Made onto burrito bowls, added snap peas because I had them and needed to use them up. Easy and tasty0 Helpful