Korean Steak Stir-Fry
with cauliflower rice / kimchi / sesame cucumbers
- Cauliflower, small - 1 head, florets chopped
- Butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp, grated
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 2 Tbsp
- Hot sauce - 1/2 tsp
- Beef, boneless skirt steak - 1 lb, thinly sliced
- Cucumbers - 12 oz, chopped
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Sesame seeds, white - 1 tsp
- Kimchi (opt) - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Coleslaw mix - 5 oz
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Cauliflower rice - Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Make marinade - Chop garlic and grate ginger. Combine with honey, vinegar (portion for steak), aminos, and hot sauce. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Steak - Slice steak against the grain (i.e., perpendicular to the fibers to prevent toughness). Add marinade and marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Kimchi - Chop kimchi. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate cucumbers - Chop cucumbers. Toss with toasted sesame oil, vinegar (portion for cucumbers), and sesame seeds. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a wok with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add coleslaw mix and steak (with marinade) and saute until marinade has coated steak and steak is cooked through, ~5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in kimchi and lime juice. Taste and season with some salt or some more lime juice.
- Give cucumbers a stir and season with some salt.
- If cauliflower rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve stir-fry over cauliflower rice. Enjoy with cucumbers on the side.
So delicious! I marinated my steak for two days and it came out so flavorful. I accidentally made the steak "tough" because I spaced out and cut the steak with the grain instead of against. Oops. So follow their warning for tender steak bits. The kimichi is a must if you want that great spicy tang in the slaw. However, I personally think the sour cream and gochujang sauce isn't necessary to the dish. 5/5 will make again!0 Helpful
Getting the cucumbers and steak marinating a day in advance meant that this meal came together relatively quickly. Plus it was yummy - although there was no way all the filling was going to fit in a single tortilla.0 Helpful
i really liked the flavors but the meat came up hard and chewy.0 Helpful
Absolutely fantastic! I'd eat this every week. Easy and yummy and filling!0 Helpful
Great flavors, and easy to put together!0 Helpful
Made onto burrito bowls, added snap peas because I had them and needed to use them up. Easy and tasty0 Helpful