Korean Steak Burritos with leftover rice / kimchi slaw / sesame cucumbers
Sweet and savory marinated Korean steak is served with kimchi slaw and rice and rolled into a burrito for this East-meets-West mash-up that we first included in a meal plan in 2018.
Smarts: All of the components for these burritos can be prepared ahead of time - just reheat the rice and meat and assemble the burritos when you're ready to eat.
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp, grated
- Brown sugar - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Gochujang - 1/2 tsp (Korean red pepper paste; sub any hot sauce)
- Beef, boneless skirt steak - 1 lb, thinly sliced
- Cucumbers - 12 oz, chopped
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Sesame seeds, white - 1 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Gochujang - 2 tsp (Korean red pepper paste; sub any hot sauce)
- Kimchi (opt) - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Coleslaw mix - 5 oz
- Oil, cooking - 2 tsp + 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Cilantro - 1/4 cup, leaves torn
- Tortillas, burrito-sized flour or corn - 4
- Basmati rice, cooked (leftover from Tuesday) - ~2 cups
- Make marinade - Chop garlic and grate ginger. Combine with brown sugar, vinegar (portion for steak), soy sauce, and Gochujang (portion for steak). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Steak - Slice steak against the grain (i.e., perpendicular to the fibers to prevent toughness). Add marinade and marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make spicy yogurt - Combine yogurt with Gochujang (portion for burritos). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Kimchi - Chop kimchi. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate cucumbers - Chop cucumbers. Toss with toasted sesame oil, vinegar (portion for cucumbers), and sesame seeds. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make kimchi slaw - Combine kimchi, coleslaw mix, first portion of cooking oil, lime juice, and cilantro leaves. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a large skillet with second portion of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add steak (with marinade) and saute until marinade has coated steak and steak is cooked through, ~5 minutes.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions.
- Reheat rice in the microwave.
- Give cucumbers a stir and season with some salt.
- Assemble burritos by spreading one side of each tortilla with spicy yogurt. Fill tortillas with rice, kimchi slaw, and steak.
- Serve burritos with cucumbers on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 38 reviews
i really liked the flavors but the meat came up hard and chewy.
Absolutely fantastic! I'd eat this every week. Easy and yummy and filling!
Great flavors, and easy to put together!
Made onto burrito bowls, added snap peas because I had them and needed to use them up. Easy and tasty
I was shocked at how much I loved this. Will definitely make it again!
OMG, so much yum! I marinated the steak for a few extra days and it was totally worth it, better than most burritos I buy