Salmon with Curry Butter
and okra / curry aioli
Smarts: Okra is a love-it or hate-it ingredient in our community of cooks. Roasting brings out a texture that may convert even those who think they don't like it, but feel free to use green beans or broccoli in its place.
- Mayonnaise, paleo-friendly - 1/4 cup
- Curry powder - 1/2 tsp
- Okra - 1 lb, trimmed and halved (sub green beans or broccoli florets)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz, sliced
- Ginger, fresh (opt) - 1 tsp, chopped
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Butter - 4 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Curry powder - 1/2 tsp
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Salmon - 1 lb
- Stock, any type - ~1/2 cup
- Make curry aioli - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Whisk together mayonnaise and curry powder (portion for aioli). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Carrots - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Ginger / Garlic - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make curry butter - Melt butter in the microwave until just soft enough to stir. Stir in ginger, garlic, cumin, and curry powder (portion for the salmon). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Limes - Slice limes into wedges. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Salmon - Rinse and pat dry. Lightly salt and pepper.
- Okra - Slice stems off okra and halve lengthwise.
- Heat oven to 450F / 232C.
- Toss okra with oil and spread onto a sheet pan. Season with some salt. Roast for 20 minutes, shaking once midway through.
- When okra is about halfway through roasting, heat a skillet or non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add half the curry butter (reserve the other half) and then onions and carrots to melted butter. Saute until tender and golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Set aside and return pan to medium heat.
- Add remaining half of curry butter and then salmon to melted butter. Sear for 2 minutes. Flip over and sear for an additional 2 minutes. Pour in enough stock to shallowly cover the bottom of the pan. Cover with lid, lower heat, and simmer fish for another 3 to 5 minutes, until it flakes easily with a fork.
- Serve salmon with carrots, okra, and aioli on the side. Squeeze lime wedges over the entire dish. Enjoy!
The green beans (which I swapped for the okra) and curry aioli were my favorite. I could eat a billion of them. The lentils were fine but not thrilling. I added some spices to pep it up.0 Helpful
My family was just not a fan. Not sure how to say this exactly but it just tasted like spices. Cumin in particular.0 Helpful
Subbed green beans for okra but still very good!0 Helpful
delicious and wholesome. I've never had roasted okra, but quite like it!0 Helpful
Not a favorite, but decent flavor and quick to make. Not super filling.0 Helpful
This was great! I skipped the aioli and used dried lentils that I cooked ahead of time0 Helpful