Chicken ‘Taco’ Lettuce Cups
with roasted sweet potatoes
- Lettuce, romaine - 12 leaves (sub green leaf or iceberg)
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lbs, chopped
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Avocados - 1, sliced
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separate
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Pepitas / pumpkin seeds - 1/4 cup
- Hot sauce or salsa (opt) - for serving
- Sweet potatoes - 1 1/2 lbs, wedges
- Foil - for cooking
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Sweet potatoes - Slice into wedges. (Or slice them into cubes if you prefer.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lettuce - Peel off leaves for lettuce cups (3 / serving). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken - Finely chop chicken. Toss with chili powder, cumin (portion for the chicken), salt, coriander, and red pepper flakes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Avocados / Green onions - Prep as directed.
- Heat oven to 500F / 260C.
- Arrange sweet potatoes on a sheet pan and cover tightly with foil. Steam sweet potatoes in the oven for 10 minutes to get them started cooking. (Watch this video for tips.)
- Remove foil from sweet potatoes. Drizzle with olive oil, smoked paprika, cumin (portion for the sweet potatoes), and some salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Turn the oven’s heat down to 400F / 204C.
- Continue roasting, turning with a spatula halfway through cooking, until tender and golden, 20 to 25 minutes (depending on thickness / size of wedges).
- While sweet potatoes are roasting, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then chicken and white parts of green onions to heated oil. Saute until chicken is cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Squeeze lemon juice over sweet potatoes.
- Fill lettuce cups with chicken, avocados, green parts of green onions, and pepitas. Finish with hot sauce or salsa. Enjoy with sweet potatoes on the side.
This was really tasty, and super fast to make if the lentils are already cooked. I doubled the spices (except for the chili powder).0 Helpful
So yummy and easy.0 Helpful
Kids loved this even with rationing tortillas. (I didn't have crunchy so I did soft)0 Helpful
Really excellent. I would not have tried it but the reviews were so high... and they were right! Delicious and did not miss the meat. They fell apart pretty easily but I wouldn't go soft shell because the crunchy shells make the dish. Maybe next time I would put the sour cream in the bottom to hold it all together? But great recipe.0 Helpful
Big hit all around! Used red lentils and they wound up mushy but like refried bean texture. Would like to try with another type of lentil next time0 Helpful
I need to buy better taco shells, but I loved loved the lentils in place of meat. Really great.0 Helpful