Crunchy Lentil Tacoswith cheddar cheese / roasted cauliflower
- Lentils, pre-cooked - 2 cups (canned or vacuum-packed)
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 oz, shredded
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separate
- Cheese, shredded cheddar - 4 oz
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup
- Salsa - for serving
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Taco shells, crunchy - 8
- Cauliflower florets - 12 oz
- Foil - for cooking
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Cauliflower - Chop into florets. (If prepping right before cooking, get cauliflower in the oven before continuing with prep.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Season lentils - Combine lentils with chili powder, cumin (portion for the lentils), coriander, and red pepper flakes. (Note: if you purchased uncooked lentils, use this recipe for instructions on how to cook them first.) (Can be done 5 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Green onions - Prep as directed.
- Heat oven to 500F / 260C.
- Arrange cauliflower on a sheet pan and cover tightly with foil. Steam cauliflower in the oven for 10 minutes. (Watch this video for tips.)
- Remove foil from cauliflower. Drizzle with olive oil, smoked paprika, cumin (portion for the cauliflower), and some salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Turn the oven’s heat down to 400F / 204C.
- Continue roasting until the edges are brown and crisp, ~25 minutes more.
- While cauliflower is roasting, set out toppings - lettuce, green parts of green onions, cheese, sour cream, and salsa.
- Place a skillet over medium heat. Add cooking oil and then seasoned lentils and white parts of green onions. Saute until warmed through, ~4 minutes. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
- Place taco shells on a second sheet pan (or you can place them directly on the oven rack) and toast just until warm and crisp, 2 to 5 minutes (watch closely to prevent burning).
- Squeeze lemon juice over cauliflower.
- Fill taco shells with lentils and toppings. Enjoy with cauliflower on the side.
This meal has 29 reviews
Big hit all around! Used red lentils and they wound up mushy but like refried bean texture. Would like to try with another type of lentil next time
I need to buy better taco shells, but I loved loved the lentils in place of meat. Really great.
So simple and delicious! I doubled the seasonings for the lentils and they came out perfectly.
Quick and easy! Put cheese in the taco shells before putting in the oven.
Made lentils from scratch. Whole family loved this meal!