Crunchy Lentil Tacos
with cheddar cheese / roasted cauliflower
- Lentils, pre-cooked - 2 cups (canned or vacuum-packed)
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 oz, shredded
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separate
- Cheese, shredded cheddar - 4 oz
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup
- Salsa - for serving
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Taco shells, crunchy - 8
- Cauliflower florets - 12 oz
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Cauliflower - Chop into florets. (If prepping right before cooking, get cauliflower in the oven before continuing with prep.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Season lentils - Combine lentils with chili powder, cumin (portion for the lentils), coriander, and red pepper flakes. (Note: if you purchased uncooked lentils, use this recipe for instructions on how to cook them first.) (Can be done 5 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Green onions - Prep as directed.
- Heat oven to 500F / 260C.
- Arrange cauliflower on a sheet pan and cover tightly with foil. Steam cauliflower in the oven for 10 minutes. (Watch this video for tips.)
- Remove foil from cauliflower. Drizzle with olive oil, smoked paprika, cumin (portion for the cauliflower), and some salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Turn the oven’s heat down to 400F / 204C.
- While cauliflower is roasting, set out toppings - lettuce, green parts of green onions, cheese, sour cream, and salsa.
- Continue roasting until the edges are brown and crisp, ~25 minutes more.
- Place a skillet over medium heat. Add cooking oil and then seasoned lentils and white parts of green onions. Saute until warmed through, ~4 minutes. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
- Place taco shells on a second sheet pan (or you can place them directly on the oven rack) and toast just until warm and crisp, 2 to 5 minutes (watch closely to prevent burning).
- Squeeze lemon juice over cauliflower.
- Fill taco shells with lentils and toppings. Enjoy with cauliflower on the side.
This was really tasty, and super fast to make if the lentils are already cooked. I doubled the spices (except for the chili powder).0 Helpful
So yummy and easy.0 Helpful
Kids loved this even with rationing tortillas. (I didn't have crunchy so I did soft)0 Helpful
Really excellent. I would not have tried it but the reviews were so high... and they were right! Delicious and did not miss the meat. They fell apart pretty easily but I wouldn't go soft shell because the crunchy shells make the dish. Maybe next time I would put the sour cream in the bottom to hold it all together? But great recipe.0 Helpful
Big hit all around! Used red lentils and they wound up mushy but like refried bean texture. Would like to try with another type of lentil next time0 Helpful
I need to buy better taco shells, but I loved loved the lentils in place of meat. Really great.0 Helpful