Cumin-Spiced Vegetable and Halloumi Kebabs
with cucumbers / tomatoes / pita / hummus
Smarts: Threading the vegetables / halloumi onto skewers is the most time-consuming part of this meal, so do this ahead of time if you can.
- Bell peppers, red - 1, cubed
- Eggplants, Chinese or Japanese - 12 oz, cubed (these are long and narrow; sub Italian eggplant)
- Zucchini - 12 oz, cubed
- Cheese, Halloumi - 8 oz, cubed (sub seitan, extra-firm tofu, or button mushrooms)
- Mustard, Dijon - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Skewers, bamboo or metal - 8 to 12
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 2/3 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Cucumbers - 12 oz, chopped
- Tomatoes, roma - 4, chopped
- Dill - 1 tsp, chopped
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Sour cream - 1 Tbsp
- Pita or flatbread - 4 rounds
- Hummus - 5 oz
- Bell peppers / Eggplants / Zucchini - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Halloumi - Rinse halloumi with water (this will remove some of the salty brine the cheese is stored in). Slice into 1" / 2.5 cm cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Marinate vegetables / halloumi - (If cooking on the grill, get grill heating while vegetables marinate.) Combine mustard, vinegar, oregano, and olive oil with a dash of salt. Toss bell peppers, eggplants, zucchini, and halloumi in vinaigrette. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Skewers - If using bamboo / wooden skewers, soak in water for 10 minutes.
- Cucumbers / Tomatoes / Dill - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Assemble kebabs - Thread vegetables and halloumi onto skewers. We typically use 2 skewers per kebab. This makes it easier to flip the kebabs while cooking. (Check out this video to see how this is done.)
- If cooking on a grill: Heat grill to 400F / 204C degrees, leaving one part of the grill with indirect heat. Clean grates and brush with cooking oil. Place kebabs over direct heat and grill on each side for 1 to 2 minutes, rotating to sear on all sides. Move to indirect heat and continue cooking until vegetables are tender.
- If cooking on the stovetop: Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil. Place kebabs on pan and grill on each side for 1 to 2 minutes, rotating to cook all sides. If vegetables are not tender at this point, reduce heat to medium and cover pan with a lid or foil. Continue cooking until vegetables are tender.
- Combine cucumbers, tomatoes, dill, lemon juice, and sour cream. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Toast pita.
- Mix together cumin, coriander, and salt. Sprinkle over kebabs.
- Enjoy kebabs with hummus, pita, and salad on the side. (If you want, you can take the vegetables / halloumi off the skewers and make wraps.) Enjoy!
Subbed Costco chicken skewers. Added a green salad. Husband added feta.0 Helpful
So good! The marinade made it taste so good!0 Helpful
Really excellent and so easy. Grilling would be easier as my grill pan cooked a bit unevenly. Will definitely make again in better weather where grill is an option.0 Helpful
Delicious kebabs.0 Helpful
I really enjoyed the hummus dip with this flavorful meal.0 Helpful
Simple and easy!0 Helpful