Cumin-Spiced Vegetable and Halloumi Kebabs
with cucumbers / tomatoes / pita / hummus
Smarts: Threading the vegetables / halloumi onto skewers is the most time-consuming part of this meal, so do this ahead of time if you can.
- Bell peppers, red - 1, cubed
- Eggplants, Chinese or Japanese - 12 oz, cubed (these are long and narrow; sub Italian eggplant)
- Zucchini - 12 oz, cubed
- Cheese, Halloumi - 8 oz, cubed (sub seitan, extra-firm tofu, or button mushrooms)
- Mustard, Dijon - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Skewers, bamboo or metal - 8 to 12
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 2/3 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Cucumbers - 12 oz, chopped
- Tomatoes, roma - 4, chopped
- Dill - 1 tsp, chopped
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Sour cream - 1 Tbsp
- Pita or flatbread - 4 rounds
- Hummus - 5 oz
- Bell peppers / Eggplants / Zucchini - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Halloumi - Rinse halloumi with water (this will remove some of the salty brine the cheese is stored in). Slice into 1" / 2.5 cm cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Marinate vegetables / halloumi - (If cooking on the grill, get grill heating while vegetables marinate.) Combine mustard, vinegar, oregano, and olive oil with a dash of salt. Toss bell peppers, eggplants, zucchini, and halloumi in vinaigrette. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Skewers - If using bamboo / wooden skewers, soak in water for 10 minutes.
- Cucumbers / Tomatoes / Dill - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Assemble kebabs - Thread vegetables and halloumi onto skewers. We typically use 2 skewers per kebab. This makes it easier to flip the kebabs while cooking. (Check out this video to see how this is done.)
- If cooking on a grill: Heat grill to 400F / 204C degrees, leaving one part of the grill with indirect heat. Clean grates and brush with cooking oil. Place kebabs over direct heat and grill on each side for 1 to 2 minutes, rotating to sear on all sides. Move to indirect heat and continue cooking until vegetables are tender.
- If cooking on the stovetop: Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil. Place kebabs on pan and grill on each side for 1 to 2 minutes, rotating to cook all sides. If vegetables are not tender at this point, reduce heat to medium and cover pan with a lid or foil. Continue cooking until vegetables are tender.
- Combine cucumbers, tomatoes, dill, lemon juice, and sour cream. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Toast pita.
- Mix together cumin, coriander, and salt. Sprinkle over kebabs.
- Enjoy kebabs with hummus, pita, and salad on the side. (If you want, you can take the vegetables / halloumi off the skewers and make wraps.) Enjoy!
So good! The marinade made it taste so good!0 Helpful
Really excellent and so easy. Grilling would be easier as my grill pan cooked a bit unevenly. Will definitely make again in better weather where grill is an option.0 Helpful
Delicious kebabs.0 Helpful
I really enjoyed the hummus dip with this flavorful meal.0 Helpful
Simple and easy!0 Helpful
Great flavor. I'm not greatly skilled in the kitchen (though getting better) and I did not have any problems getting a nice result. The little bit of steak left over from dinner was great in an omelette the next morning.0 Helpful