Cumin-Spiced Beef Kebabs
with cucumbers / tomatoes / pita / hummus
Smarts: Marinating the meat and threading it onto skewers is the most time-consuming part of this meal, so do those steps ahead of time if you can.
- Steak, NY strip, sirloin, or any other cut - 1 1/2 lbs, cubed
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp + 2/3 tsp
- Skewers, bamboo or metal - 8 to 12
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Cucumbers - 12 oz, chopped
- Tomatoes, roma - 4, chopped
- Dill - 1 tsp, chopped
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Sour cream - 1 Tbsp
- Pita or flatbread - 4 rounds
- Hummus - 5 oz
- Steak - Slice steak into 1" / 2.5 cm cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Marinate steak - (If cooking on the grill, get grill heating while steak marinates.) Combine soy sauce, first part of cooking oil, and first part of cumin. Add steak and tenderize steak with a fork. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Skewers - If using bamboo / wooden skewers, soak in water for 10 minutes.
- Cucumbers / Tomatoes / Dill - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Assemble kebabs - Thread steak onto skewers, ~5 cubes / kebab. We typically use 2 skewers per kebab. This makes it easier to flip the kebabs while cooking. (Check out this video to see how this is done.)
- If cooking on a grill: Heat grill to 500F / 260C degrees. Clean grates and brush with second part of cooking oil. Place kebabs over heat and grill on each side for 1 to 2 minutes, rotating to cook on all sides. Remove from heat and let rest, covered, for ~5 minutes.
- If cooking on the stovetop: Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Add second part of cooking oil. Place kebabs on pan and grill on each side for 1 to 2 minutes, rotating to cook all sides. Remove from heat and let rest, covered, for ~5 minutes.
- While steak is resting, combine cucumbers, tomatoes, dill, lemon juice, and sour cream. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Toast pita.
- Mix together second part of cumin, coriander, and salt. Sprinkle over kebabs.
- Enjoy kebabs with hummus, pita, and salad on the side. (If you want, you can take the meat off the skewers and make wraps.) Enjoy!
Subbed Costco chicken skewers. Added a green salad. Husband added feta.0 Helpful
So good! The marinade made it taste so good!0 Helpful
Really excellent and so easy. Grilling would be easier as my grill pan cooked a bit unevenly. Will definitely make again in better weather where grill is an option.0 Helpful
Delicious kebabs.0 Helpful
I really enjoyed the hummus dip with this flavorful meal.0 Helpful
Simple and easy!0 Helpful