Black Bean Tacos with Mango Salsaand asparagus
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1/2, diced
- Ginger, fresh - 1/2 tsp, grated
- Cilantro (opt) - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Mango, fresh - 1, chopped (sub frozen mango or frozen pineapple, defrosted and chopped)
- Bell peppers, any color - 2, diced
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 2 cans, drained and rinsed
- Avocados - 2, sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour - 12
- Asparagus - 1 bunch, ends trimmed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Bell peppers / Jalapenos / Ginger - Prep as directed. Combine jalapenos and ginger. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Asparagus / Cilantro - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Mangos - If using fresh mango, peel and chop. If using frozen, defrost in the microwave and chop.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Avocados - Slice avocados.
- Heat a skillet with oil (the portion for the tacos) over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers to heated oil and saute until starting to turn golden (but still a bit crunchy), 2 to 3 minutes. Add beans, chili powder, and cumin with some salt. Saute until spices are fragrant and beans are warmed through, ~2 minutes more. Set beans aside, wipe out pan and return to heat.
- Add oil (the portion for the asparagus) to heated pan. If asparagus spears are too large to fit in the skillet, cut them in half. Add asparagus to heated oil with a pinch of salt. Saute until asparagus is tender, 4 to 8 minutes (depending on how thick the spears are). Squeeze lemon juice over top.
- While asparagus cooks, toss together mango, jalapenos, ginger, and cilantro.
- Heat tortillas according to package directions.
- Fill tacos with black bean / bell pepper mixture, avocado slices, and mango salsa. Serve with asparagus on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 45 reviews
Always love coconut rice. I was worried about the cooking times being even but both the chicken and asparagus turned out perfectly!
Doubled the marinade and spices and this turned out great! Peeling and cubing the fresh mango was a huge pain.
Vegetarian version was bland. Needed to use double the mango mixture to give it some flavor. Probably wouldn’t make again. Doubled the asparagus on the side.
Delicious! I always enjoy recipes where a bunch of relatively simple components come together to make something really flavorful. My asparagus was a little on the thin side and the chicken breasts were relatively thick, so the asparagus overcooked a bit before I pulled it out of the pan to let the chicken cook a bit more - so it might be nice to give more of a range for these and/or suggest checking them separately in the instructions.
My favorite part was the coconut rice.
One of very few meals I didn't like. I did the oven method so maybe grilling would have been the better choice. The chicken was bland by itself.