Chicken with Mango Salsa
and coconut rice / asparagus
This simple, colorful meal with a fresh mango salsa was first featured in 2017. We love the flavors of the dish served over coconut rice, but feel free to mix it up and use any grain or pasta you'd prefer.
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1/2, diced
- Ginger, fresh - 1/2 tsp, grated
- Cilantro (opt) - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Mango, fresh - 1, chopped (sub frozen mango or frozen pineapple, defrosted and chopped)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1/4 cup (only if using stovetop / oven)
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 1 cup
- Coconut milk - 3/4 cup
- Water - 3/4 cup
- Asparagus - 1 bunch, ends trimmed
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Brown sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- White sesame seeds (opt) - 1 tsp
- Chicken - Tenderize with a fork and toss with soy sauce and rice vinegar. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Rice - For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, coconut milk, water and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Jalapenos / Ginger - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Asparagus / Cilantro - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Mangos - If using fresh mango, peel and chop. If using frozen, defrost in the microwave and chop.
- If using the oven, preheat to 375F / 191C. (If using a grill, skip ahead to the next step.)
- Toss asparagus in sesame oil, brown sugar, and salt.
- If using a grill: Preheat grill to 400F / 163C degrees, keeping one section on higher heat and another section on lower heat. Clean and oil grates. Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and place over high heat. Season with some salt and pepper as it cooks. Sear chicken for 2 to 3 minutes on each side and transfer to lower heat. Place asparagus over high heat, turning to cook on all sides. Cook until asparagus is tender and chicken's internal temperature reaches 165F / 74C degrees, 3 to 4 minutes for both items.
- If using the stovetop / oven: Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brush pan with oil and sear chicken on both sides for 2 to 3 minutes (discard marinade). Season chicken with some salt and pepper as it cooks. Move chicken to one side of pan and place asparagus on the other side (don't worry if the asparagus overlaps with the chicken). Pour stock into the pan and cover loosely with foil. Transfer chicken and asparagus to the oven and continue cooking until asparagus is tender and chicken's internal temperature reaches 165F / 74C degrees, 12 to 15 minutes for both items.
- While chicken and asparagus cook, toss together mango, jalapenos, ginger, and cilantro.
- Reheat rice if made ahead.
- Slice chicken. Top asparagus with lemon juice and sesame seeds.
- Serve chicken over rice with mango salsa on top. Enjoy with asparagus on the side.
Always love coconut rice. I was worried about the cooking times being even but both the chicken and asparagus turned out perfectly!0 Helpful
Doubled the marinade and spices and this turned out great! Peeling and cubing the fresh mango was a huge pain.0 Helpful
Vegetarian version was bland. Needed to use double the mango mixture to give it some flavor. Probably wouldn’t make again. Doubled the asparagus on the side.0 Helpful
Delicious! I always enjoy recipes where a bunch of relatively simple components come together to make something really flavorful. My asparagus was a little on the thin side and the chicken breasts were relatively thick, so the asparagus overcooked a bit before I pulled it out of the pan to let the chicken cook a bit more - so it might be nice to give more of a range for these and/or suggest checking them separately in the instructions.0 Helpful
My favorite part was the coconut rice.0 Helpful
One of very few meals I didn't like. I did the oven method so maybe grilling would have been the better choice. The chicken was bland by itself.0 Helpful