Cauliflower and Chickpea Fritters over Spring Saladwith radishes / cucumbers / croutons
This fresh salad is packed with some of our favorite seasonal ingredients and topped with a pan-seared fritter made with riced cauliflower and chickpeas.
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Mayonnaise - 1/3 cup
- Ketchup - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Sweet pickle relish - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Capers - 2 Tbsp, drained and chopped
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Riced cauliflower, frozen or fresh - 8 oz
- Flour, all-purpose - 1/2 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Baguette or ciabatta - 1/4 loaf, cubed
- Radishes - 8, halved and sliced (sub snap peas or snow peas, thinly sliced)
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, halved and sliced
- Lettuce, butter - 8 oz, torn (sub romaine)
- Peas, frozen - 1 cup
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Make dressing - (Skip if dressing was made ahead for Monday.) Chop garlic. Combine garlic, mayonnaise, ketchup, pickle relish, lemon juice, and paprika. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bread - Slice bread into cubes. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Make cauliflower and chickpea fritters - Drain and chop capers. Drain and rinse beans. Place riced cauliflower in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for ~2 minutes, until defrosted and / or tender. Place beans in the bowl of a food processor (or use a potato masher to mash by hand). Pulse until beans are chopped into small pieces. Combine with capers, riced cauliflower, flour, salt, and pepper. Form into 3/4” / 2 cm thick patties (1 patty / serving). (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Radishes / Cucumbers / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
- Peas - Defrost peas in the microwave or by running them under warm water.
- Heat a large skillet or non-stick pan over medium heat. Add butter and then bread cubes to melted butter. Cook, flipping the bread every few minutes with a spatula, until crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper. Set croutons aside.
- Return pan to medium-high heat and add oil. Add cauliflower and chickpea fritters to heated oil. Sear on each side until golden brown, ~3 minutes per side.
- If the dressing was made ahead, give it a stir. If it is too thick to easily pour, you can thin it out with some water.
- Assemble salads by creating a bed of lettuce. Top with radishes, cucumbers, peas, and croutons. Top each salad with a cauliflower and chickpea fritter. Finish with dressing at the table. Enjoy!
This meal has 39 reviews
I’ve made these salmon cakes a few times now because my husband keeps requesting them. He regularly brags about how good my salmon cakes taste.
Loved this dish! I made a few changes. I used a spring mix instead of butter lettuce. I also added McClure's spicy Pickles instead of relish to the dressing and sub veganaise in place of Mayonnaise. Also, I baked the patties at 375 for 5 minutes on each side and then transferred to the pan for a slight sear.
I was really upset as I could never get the patties to stay together. They just crumbled no matter what I did. I have had this problem before as well.
Such a great combination of flavors and textures!