Salmon Cakes over Spring Saladwith radishes / cucumbers / walnuts
This fresh salad is packed with some of our favorite seasonal ingredients and topped with a pan-seared salmon cake with capers.
- Salmon - 1 lb
- Capers - 2 Tbsp, drained and chopped
- Almond meal - 1/2 cup
- Eggs - 1
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Radishes - 8, halved and sliced (sub snap peas or snow peas, thinly sliced)
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, halved and sliced
- Lettuce, butter - 8 oz, torn (sub romaine)
- Peas, frozen - 1 cup
- Walnuts, halves or pieces - 1 cup
- Make vinaigrette - Chop garlic. Combine garlic, mustard (portion for salad), vinegar, lemon juice, and paprika. Add olive oil, while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Salmon - Rinse and pat dry. Use a knife to chop up the salmon meat. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make salmon cakes - Drain and chop capers. Combine salmon, almond meal, egg, capers, mustard (portion for salmon cakes), salt, and pepper in a bowl. Form into 3/4” / 2 cm thick patties (1 patty / serving). (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Radishes / Cucumbers / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
- Peas - Defrost peas in the microwave or by running them under warm water.
- Heat a large skillet or non-stick pan over medium heat. Add walnuts and toast, stirring frequently, until fragrant and golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Return pan to medium-high heat and add cooking oil. Add salmon patties to heated oil. Sear on each side for 2 to 3 minutes. Lower heat to medium, cover pan with a lid or foil, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Assemble salads by creating a bed of lettuce. Top with radishes, cucumbers, peas, and walnuts. Top each salad with a salmon cake. Finish with vinaigrette at the table. Enjoy!
So I actually made this recipe with a leftover salmon basil burger patty, but I loved the dressing with it anyway. I put it over whatever salad combos I found in my fridge.0 Helpful
I could only find salmon with the skin on so it proved a slight challenge to get the skin off the salmon in order to make the cakes. So next time I'll just make the cakes using crab meat (which should make it a little easier). Meal came together pretty easily, especially if you make things like the dressing ahead of time.0 Helpful
I’ve made these salmon cakes a few times now because my husband keeps requesting them. He regularly brags about how good my salmon cakes taste.0 Helpful
Simply YUM0 Helpful
Loved this dish! I made a few changes. I used a spring mix instead of butter lettuce. I also added McClure's spicy Pickles instead of relish to the dressing and sub veganaise in place of Mayonnaise. Also, I baked the patties at 375 for 5 minutes on each side and then transferred to the pan for a slight sear.0 Helpful
I was really upset as I could never get the patties to stay together. They just crumbled no matter what I did. I have had this problem before as well.0 Helpful