Salmon Cakes over Spring Salad
with radishes / cucumbers / croutons
This fresh salad is packed with some of our favorite seasonal ingredients and topped with a pan-seared salmon cake with capers.
Thousand Island Dressing:
- Garlic - 1 clove , chopped
- Mayonnaise - 1/3 cup
- Ketchup - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Sweet pickle relish - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Salmon - 1 lb (look for skinless salmon filets to make chopping easy)
- Capers - 2 Tbsp , drained and chopped
- Panko breadcrumbs, gluten-free - 1/2 cup (sub any gluten-free breadcrumbs or almond meal)
- Eggs - 1
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
Spring Salad with Radishes and Cucumbers:
- Sandwich bread, gluten-free - 8 slices
- Radishes - 8 , halved and sliced (sub snap peas or snow peas, thinly sliced)
- Cucumbers - 8 oz , halved and sliced
- Lettuce, butter - 8 oz , torn (sub romaine)
- Peas, frozen - 1 cup
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Make dressing - (Skip if dressing was made ahead for Monday.) Chop garlic. Combine garlic, mayonnaise, ketchup, pickle relish, lemon juice, and paprika. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bread - Slice bread into cubes. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Salmon - Rinse and pat dry. Use a knife to chop up the salmon meat. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make salmon cakes - Drain and chop capers. Combine salmon, panko, egg, capers, mustard, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Form into 3/4” / 2 cm thick patties (1 patty / serving). (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Radishes / Cucumbers / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
- Peas - Defrost peas in the microwave or by running them under warm water.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a large skillet or non-stick pan over medium heat. Add butter and then bread cubes to melted butter. Cook, flipping the bread every few minutes with a spatula, until crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper. Set croutons aside.
- Return pan to medium-high heat and add oil. Add salmon patties to heated oil. Sear on each side for 2 to 3 minutes. Lower heat to medium, cover pan with a lid or foil, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- If the dressing was made ahead, give it a stir. If it is too thick to easily pour, you can thin it out with some water.
- Assemble salads by creating a bed of lettuce. Top with radishes, cucumbers, peas, and croutons. Top each salad with a salmon cake. Finish with dressing at the table. Enjoy!