Salmon Cakes over Spring Saladwith radishes / cucumbers / rye croutons
This fresh salad is packed with some of our favorite seasonal ingredients and topped with a pan-seared salmon cake with capers.
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Mayonnaise - 1/3 cup
- Ketchup - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Sweet pickle relish - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Salmon - 1 lb
- Capers - 2 Tbsp, drained and chopped
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/2 cup
- Eggs - 1
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Bread, rye - 4 slices, cubed (sub any sandwich bread)
- Radishes - 8, halved and sliced (sub snap peas or snow peas, thinly sliced)
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, halved and sliced
- Lettuce, butter - 8 oz, torn (sub romaine)
- Peas, frozen - 1 cup
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Make dressing - (Skip if dressing was made ahead for Monday.) Chop garlic. Combine garlic, mayonnaise, ketchup, pickle relish, lemon juice, and paprika. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bread - Slice bread into cubes. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Salmon - Rinse and pat dry. Use a knife to chop up the salmon meat. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make salmon cakes - Drain and chop capers. Combine salmon, panko, egg, capers, mustard, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Form into 3/4” / 2 cm thick patties (1 patty / serving). (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Radishes / Cucumbers / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
- Peas - Defrost peas in the microwave or by running them under warm water.
- Heat a large skillet or non-stick pan over medium heat. Add butter and then bread cubes to melted butter. Cook, flipping the bread every few minutes with a spatula, until crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper. Set croutons aside.
- Return pan to medium-high heat and add oil. Add salmon patties to heated oil. Sear on each side for 2 to 3 minutes. Lower heat to medium, cover pan with a lid or foil, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- If the dressing was made ahead, give it a stir. If it is too thick to easily pour, you can thin it out with some water.
- Assemble salads by creating a bed of lettuce. Top with radishes, cucumbers, peas, and croutons. Top each salad with a salmon cake. Finish with dressing at the table. Enjoy!
This meal has 39 reviews
Lots of prep for a weeknight meal.
Delicious dinner and made great leftovers. Instant fav! Never liked thousand island dressing before making this! I agree that the salmon patties could’ve had more oomph, but they were still good.
Really enjoyed this! Good combination of flavors and nice to have a lighter meal.
Meh. More filling than expected, so that's a plus. Glad we did meal prep on the weekend, so it can together really quickly - also a plus. But didn't wow is the way a CS meal usually does. It wasn't bad, it was just ... okay.
Loooved this salad! Was also skeptical about the salmon patties but they held together and were fully cooked (and delicious!)
This recipe might be a new go to! I agree with some of the other reviews that the salmon needed a little help. I added some blackened seasoning to the mix but I think it would benefit from an aioli in the future. But overall very good! I also baked them instead of pan fry— 375F for about 17 minutes.