Cauliflower and Chickpea Fritters over Spring Saladwith radishes / cucumbers / croutons
This fresh salad is packed with some of our favorite seasonal ingredients and topped with a pan-seared fritter made with riced cauliflower and chickpeas.
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Mayonnaise - 1/3 cup
- Ketchup - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Sweet pickle relish - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Capers - 2 Tbsp, drained and chopped
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Riced cauliflower, frozen or fresh - 8 oz
- Flour, all-purpose - 1/2 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Baguette or ciabatta - 1/4 loaf, cubed
- Radishes - 8, halved and sliced (sub snap peas or snow peas, thinly sliced)
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, halved and sliced
- Lettuce, butter - 8 oz, torn (sub romaine)
- Peas, frozen - 1 cup
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Make dressing - (Skip if dressing was made ahead for Monday.) Chop garlic. Combine garlic, mayonnaise, ketchup, pickle relish, lemon juice, and paprika. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bread - Slice bread into cubes. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Make cauliflower and chickpea fritters - Drain and chop capers. Drain and rinse beans. Place riced cauliflower in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for ~2 minutes, until defrosted and / or tender. Place beans in the bowl of a food processor (or use a potato masher to mash by hand). Pulse until beans are chopped into small pieces. Combine with capers, riced cauliflower, flour, salt, and pepper. Form into 3/4” / 2 cm thick patties (1 patty / serving). (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Radishes / Cucumbers / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
- Peas - Defrost peas in the microwave or by running them under warm water.
- Heat a large skillet or non-stick pan over medium heat. Add butter and then bread cubes to melted butter. Cook, flipping the bread every few minutes with a spatula, until crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper. Set croutons aside.
- Return pan to medium-high heat and add oil. Add cauliflower and chickpea fritters to heated oil. Sear on each side until golden brown, ~3 minutes per side.
- If the dressing was made ahead, give it a stir. If it is too thick to easily pour, you can thin it out with some water.
- Assemble salads by creating a bed of lettuce. Top with radishes, cucumbers, peas, and croutons. Top each salad with a cauliflower and chickpea fritter. Finish with dressing at the table. Enjoy!
Husband and toddler LOVED the salmon cakes. Had only italian seasoned bread crumbs on hand and it still worked. Used on salad for one meal, and on rice for another. I felt the thousand island was sweeter than I would like. Will make adjustments next time. I am partial to the Trader Joe's thousand island though.0 Helpful
Really great! Fritters came together so easily and had a nice light flavor. I used less capers because they aren’t my favorite. Skipped the croutons and used bottle dressing to save time. Radishes added a lot of flavor and aren’t something I normally think to buy. My husband loved and it’s going on our list of go-to meals.0 Helpful
Much better than ones made from canned salmon.0 Helpful
BUY SKINLESS SALMON FOR EASIER PREP! I used GF breadcrumbs because I was out of almond flour.0 Helpful
Substituted canned tuna (10 Oz total) and they were so good! My 5 year old cleaned his plate. I love quick and easy salad meals for weeknights!0 Helpful
We loved this! We had wild sockeye, so the salmon patties had great flavor. This was an easy weeknight recipe. Will definitely do this again!0 Helpful