Salmon Cakes over Spring Saladwith radishes / cucumbers / rye croutons
This fresh salad is packed with some of our favorite seasonal ingredients and topped with a pan-seared salmon cake with capers.
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Mayonnaise - 1/3 cup
- Ketchup - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Sweet pickle relish - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Salmon - 1 lb
- Capers - 2 Tbsp, drained and chopped
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/2 cup
- Eggs - 1
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Bread, rye - 4 slices, cubed (sub any sandwich bread)
- Radishes - 8, halved and sliced (sub snap peas or snow peas, thinly sliced)
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, halved and sliced
- Lettuce, butter - 8 oz, torn (sub romaine)
- Peas, frozen - 1 cup
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Make dressing - (Skip if dressing was made ahead for Monday.) Chop garlic. Combine garlic, mayonnaise, ketchup, pickle relish, lemon juice, and paprika. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bread - Slice bread into cubes. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Salmon - Rinse and pat dry. Use a knife to chop up the salmon meat. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make salmon cakes - Drain and chop capers. Combine salmon, panko, egg, capers, mustard, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Form into 3/4” / 2 cm thick patties (1 patty / serving). (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Radishes / Cucumbers / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
- Peas - Defrost peas in the microwave or by running them under warm water.
- Heat a large skillet or non-stick pan over medium heat. Add butter and then bread cubes to melted butter. Cook, flipping the bread every few minutes with a spatula, until crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper. Set croutons aside.
- Return pan to medium-high heat and add oil. Add salmon patties to heated oil. Sear on each side for 2 to 3 minutes. Lower heat to medium, cover pan with a lid or foil, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- If the dressing was made ahead, give it a stir. If it is too thick to easily pour, you can thin it out with some water.
- Assemble salads by creating a bed of lettuce. Top with radishes, cucumbers, peas, and croutons. Top each salad with a salmon cake. Finish with dressing at the table. Enjoy!
This meal has 39 reviews
Much better than ones made from canned salmon.
BUY SKINLESS SALMON FOR EASIER PREP! I used GF breadcrumbs because I was out of almond flour.
Substituted canned tuna (10 Oz total) and they were so good! My 5 year old cleaned his plate. I love quick and easy salad meals for weeknights!
We loved this! We had wild sockeye, so the salmon patties had great flavor. This was an easy weeknight recipe. Will definitely do this again!
I like how the recipe casually says chop up salmon meat...sounds easy... Great salad! Love the dressing and the rye croutons! Not really interested in wasting half an egg, so added the whole thing...and increased the panko to compensate. Might add some herbs or green onions to the salmon cakes next time.
I love salad dinners and had never made the salmon cakes before. I really liked them but also love capers. I omitted the croutons to save a step and carbs. The dressing was easy and good as well.