Salmon Cakes over Spring Salad
with radishes / cucumbers / rye croutons
This fresh salad is packed with some of our favorite seasonal ingredients and topped with a pan-seared salmon cake with capers.
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Mayonnaise - 1/3 cup
- Ketchup - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Sweet pickle relish - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Salmon - 1 lb
- Capers - 2 Tbsp, drained and chopped
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/2 cup
- Eggs - 1
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Bread, rye - 4 slices, cubed (sub any sandwich bread)
- Radishes - 8, halved and sliced (sub snap peas or snow peas, thinly sliced)
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, halved and sliced
- Lettuce, butter - 8 oz, torn (sub romaine)
- Peas, frozen - 1 cup
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Make dressing - (Skip if dressing was made ahead for Monday.) Chop garlic. Combine garlic, mayonnaise, ketchup, pickle relish, lemon juice, and paprika. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bread - Slice bread into cubes. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Salmon - Rinse and pat dry. Use a knife to chop up the salmon meat. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make salmon cakes - Drain and chop capers. Combine salmon, panko, egg, capers, mustard, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Form into 3/4” / 2 cm thick patties (1 patty / serving). (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Radishes / Cucumbers / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
- Peas - Defrost peas in the microwave or by running them under warm water.
- Heat a large skillet or non-stick pan over medium heat. Add butter and then bread cubes to melted butter. Cook, flipping the bread every few minutes with a spatula, until crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper. Set croutons aside.
- Return pan to medium-high heat and add oil. Add salmon patties to heated oil. Sear on each side for 2 to 3 minutes. Lower heat to medium, cover pan with a lid or foil, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- If the dressing was made ahead, give it a stir. If it is too thick to easily pour, you can thin it out with some water.
- Assemble salads by creating a bed of lettuce. Top with radishes, cucumbers, peas, and croutons. Top each salad with a salmon cake. Finish with dressing at the table. Enjoy!
Husband and toddler LOVED the salmon cakes. Had only italian seasoned bread crumbs on hand and it still worked. Used on salad for one meal, and on rice for another. I felt the thousand island was sweeter than I would like. Will make adjustments next time. I am partial to the Trader Joe's thousand island though.0 Helpful
Really great! Fritters came together so easily and had a nice light flavor. I used less capers because they aren’t my favorite. Skipped the croutons and used bottle dressing to save time. Radishes added a lot of flavor and aren’t something I normally think to buy. My husband loved and it’s going on our list of go-to meals.0 Helpful
Much better than ones made from canned salmon.0 Helpful
BUY SKINLESS SALMON FOR EASIER PREP! I used GF breadcrumbs because I was out of almond flour.0 Helpful
Substituted canned tuna (10 Oz total) and they were so good! My 5 year old cleaned his plate. I love quick and easy salad meals for weeknights!0 Helpful
We loved this! We had wild sockeye, so the salmon patties had great flavor. This was an easy weeknight recipe. Will definitely do this again!0 Helpful