Salmon Cakes over Spring Saladwith radishes / cucumbers / rye croutons
This fresh salad is packed with some of our favorite seasonal ingredients and topped with a pan-seared salmon cake with capers.
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Mayonnaise - 1/3 cup
- Ketchup - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Sweet pickle relish - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Salmon - 1 lb
- Capers - 2 Tbsp, drained and chopped
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/2 cup
- Eggs - 1
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Bread, rye - 4 slices, cubed (sub any sandwich bread)
- Radishes - 8, halved and sliced (sub snap peas or snow peas, thinly sliced)
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, halved and sliced
- Lettuce, butter - 8 oz, torn (sub romaine)
- Peas, frozen - 1 cup
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Make dressing - (Skip if dressing was made ahead for Monday.) Chop garlic. Combine garlic, mayonnaise, ketchup, pickle relish, lemon juice, and paprika. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bread - Slice bread into cubes. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Salmon - Rinse and pat dry. Use a knife to chop up the salmon meat. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make salmon cakes - Drain and chop capers. Combine salmon, panko, egg, capers, mustard, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Form into 3/4” / 2 cm thick patties (1 patty / serving). (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Radishes / Cucumbers / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
- Peas - Defrost peas in the microwave or by running them under warm water.
- Heat a large skillet or non-stick pan over medium heat. Add butter and then bread cubes to melted butter. Cook, flipping the bread every few minutes with a spatula, until crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper. Set croutons aside.
- Return pan to medium-high heat and add oil. Add salmon patties to heated oil. Sear on each side for 2 to 3 minutes. Lower heat to medium, cover pan with a lid or foil, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- If the dressing was made ahead, give it a stir. If it is too thick to easily pour, you can thin it out with some water.
- Assemble salads by creating a bed of lettuce. Top with radishes, cucumbers, peas, and croutons. Top each salad with a salmon cake. Finish with dressing at the table. Enjoy!
This meal has 39 reviews
I’ve made these salmon cakes a few times now because my husband keeps requesting them. He regularly brags about how good my salmon cakes taste.
Loved this dish! I made a few changes. I used a spring mix instead of butter lettuce. I also added McClure's spicy Pickles instead of relish to the dressing and sub veganaise in place of Mayonnaise. Also, I baked the patties at 375 for 5 minutes on each side and then transferred to the pan for a slight sear.
I was really upset as I could never get the patties to stay together. They just crumbled no matter what I did. I have had this problem before as well.
Such a great combination of flavors and textures!