Breakfast Tacos with Chimichurri
and avocados / corn and black bean salsa
- Avocados - 1, sliced
- Eggs - 8
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour - 8
- Chimichurri (ingredients listed separately) - 1/3 cup
- Jalapenos - 1, diced
- Corn, frozen or canned - 1 1/2 cups
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch, chopped
- Parsley - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Shallots - 1 clove
- Capers - 1 Tbsp, drained and rinsed
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1/3 cup
- Make chimichurri sauce - (Skip if sauce was made ahead for Tuesday.) Combine cilantro, parsley, garlic, shallots, capers, vinegar, lime juice (portion for chimichurri), salt, and oil (portion for chimichurri) in a blender or a food processor. Add more oil if it’s too thick. Season to taste with salt or more lime juice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Jalapenos - Dice jalapenos. (Remove seeds if you prefer less spice.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Corn - Defrost if using frozen. Drain and rinse if using canned.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Avocados - Slice avocados.
- Eggs - Whisk eggs.
- Combine jalapenos, corn, beans, and lime juice (portion for salsa) in a serving bowl. Season with some salt and pepper. Add some extra lime juice if you’d like.
- Heat a nonstick pan with oil (portion for tacos) over medium heat. Add eggs and scramble until cooked to your liking. In the last minute of cooking, season with some salt and pepper.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions.
- Assemble tacos by filling tortillas with eggs, avocados, salsa, and chimichurri. Serve any extra salsa on the side. Enjoy!
Didn't love the shrimp - something about the flavors was kind of "meh," although the chimichurri sauce was good. I didn't love the corn and bean salsa either - it felt like it was missing something.0 Helpful
Chimichurri sauce is single handedly the most delicious item that Cook Smarts has taught me. I made it a few months ago when it was featured on something else, so when it came back for this dish and the burgers, I was stoked. 👏🏼👏🏼 As for the tacos- I added queso fresco as we had it and it was SUCH a good combo. I fried corn tortillas because my 5 month old cooperated and it had the perfect chewiness-to-crunch ratio with the shrimp and everything else. Bravo, Cooksmarts.0 Helpful
Wouldn't change a thing! I now want that black bean/corn salsa on everything I eat.0 Helpful
Always a favorite. Everything about this is so good! We've tried with both corn and flour tortillas, and I think we prefer flour because they don't fall apart and these tacos are pretty messy.0 Helpful
This was absolutely amazing!! The acid in the chimichurri and salsa perfectly complemented the avocado and shrimp. Didn't change a thing and it was delicious!0 Helpful
Made this with bay scallops instead of shrimp because that's what I had. Easy, delicious, great flavor.0 Helpful