Chimichurri Black Bean Burgers
with green bean “fries”
Chimichurri mayo adds a creamy topping to these flavorful veggie burgers. This is the first time we've featured this black bean burger patty that is slightly spicy and is held together with eggs, flour, and store-bought breadcrumbs.
Chimichurri Black Bean Burger:
- Roasted bell peppers - 1 cup , sliced (from a jar of roasted red bell peppers)
- Jalapenos - 1 , diced
- Chimichurri sauce (ingredients listed separately) - 1/4 cup
- Mayonnaise - 1/4 cup
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Barbecue sauce - 1 Tbsp (sub ketchup)
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 tsp + 1 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Eggs - 1
- Flour, all-purpose - 1/4 cup
- Breadcrumbs, store-bought - 1/2 cup
- Cheese, Swiss - 4 slices (sub any sliced cheese)
- Hamburger buns - 4
Green Bean “Fries”:
- Green beans - 1 lb , trimmed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch , chopped
- Parsley - 1/4 cup , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Shallots - 1 clove
- Capers - 1 Tbsp , drained and rinsed
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1/3 cup
- Green beans / Roasted bell peppers / Jalapenos - (If prepping right before cooking get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make chimichurri sauce - (Double if making Thursday’s meal.) Combine cilantro, parsley, garlic, shallots, capers, vinegar, lime juice, salt (portion for chimichurri), and oil (portion for chimichurri) in a food processor. Add more oil if it’s too thick. Season to taste with salt or more lime juice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make chimichurri mayo - Whisk together chimichurri sauce (reserve half if doubled) with mayonnaise. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make black bean burger patties - Drain and rinse beans. Pat beans dry with paper towels (they should be as dry as possible - this will help the burger patties to stick together). Add beans, jalapenos, barbecue sauce, soy sauce, oil (first portion for burgers), salt (portion for burgers), and pepper to food processor. Pulse until beans are broken into pea-sized pieces. Transfer mixture to a bowl and add egg, flour, and breadcrumbs. Combine with your hands. Add some more flour if the mixture is too wet to stick together. Shape into 3/4" to 1" / 2 cm to 2.5 cm thick patties. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Toss green beans with oil (portion for green beans) and some salt and pepper. Spread out onto a sheet pan and roast until tender and brown in spots, ~20 minutes, shaking the pan halfway through cooking.
- While green beans roast, heat up a grill pan or skillet with oil (second portion for burgers) over high heat. Add black bean burger patties to heated pan and cook on one side until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip burgers and continue cooking until golden brown on the other side, ~3 to 4 minutes more. In the last minute of cooking, top each burger patty with a slice of cheese.
- Toast hamburger buns.
- When green beans are finished, squeeze lemon juice over top.
- Assemble burgers by spooning chimichurri mayo onto each side of the hamburger buns (you may not need all of it). Fill buns with black bean patties and roasted bell peppers.
- Serve chimichurri burgers with green bean “fries” on the side with any extra chimichurri mayo for dipping. Enjoy!