Tom Kha Gai Soup
with chicken / zucchini / mushrooms
Smarts: We packed this soup with lots of veggies - feel free to swap in and out whatever you love best.
- Lemongrass - 3 stalks, mashed
- Ginger, fresh - 1/2 inch, thinly sliced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Mushrooms, any brown - 8 oz, thinly sliced (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, chopped
- Fish sauce - 2 tsp + 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp + 1 tsp
- Zucchini - 8 oz, thinly sliced
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, thinly sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Coconut milk - 1 cup
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, thinly sliced
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch, leaves torn
- Limes - 1/2, wedges
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then lemongrass, ginger, and garlic. Saute until fragrant, ~1 minute.
- Add chicken to aromatics and saute until golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Fold in mushrooms and saute for another 2 to 3 minutes until mushrooms start to turn golden.
- Pour in coconut milk, stock, and second parts of fish sauce and brown sugar. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered for 4 to 6 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, slice jalapenos, pick off cilantro leaves, and slice limes into wedges.
- Fold in zucchini and tomatoes. If you sliced zucchini super thin, the residual heat will cook the zucchini and you can just turn off the heat. Otherwise, simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes to cook the zucchini.
- Season with hot sauce and more fish sauce if it’s not savory / salty enough.
- Divide into bowls and serve with jalapenos, cilantro, and lime wedges.
I thought this was super balanced and great flavors. We happen to have company over and they liked it a lot too.0 Helpful
Used while can of coconut milk, carrots since I had those but no tomato. Needed more fish sauce. Came together quickly. I’d add more of the ginger, garlic, lemongrass (not the paste next time) and some chili sauce to spice it up. May try leftovers over rice noodles (and add lime, I forgot first time)0 Helpful
One of my favoritest CS recipes! Be sure to increase all the aromatics and season the chicken with a little salt and pepper0 Helpful
Love this! I always add more broth.0 Helpful
We thought this was okay, but no one loved it.0 Helpful
Loved this. Used a whole can of coconut milk and split half soy and half fish sauce. It's also really good with a spoonful of chili sauce added to each bowl if you like spice!0 Helpful