Jambalayawith vegan sausage / zucchini / rice
Jambalaya is a Cajun-inspired one-pan dish with vegetables and rice. Though it is typically sauteed with meat, vegan sausage makes this vegetarian version that was first featured in 2018 taste very close to the original version. Layers of flavor build as the dish cooks, but onions, bell peppers, and celery (often called the "holy trinity") get things started.
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Bell peppers, green - 1, diced
- Celery - 3 stalks, diced
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Vegan sausage - 12 oz, sliced or chopped
- Zucchini - 12 oz, chopped
- Cajun seasoning - 3 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Rice, uncooked white - 1 cup (preferably long grain)
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Stock, any type - 2 cups
- Bay leaves - 2
- Green onions - 2 stalks, white and green parts chopped and combined
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - for serving
- Onions / Bell peppers / Celery / Garlic / Vegan Sausage - Prep as directed. Combine onions, bell peppers, and celery. Store garlic and sausage in separate containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Chop zucchini. (Can be done 2 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine Cajun seasoning, thyme, and oregano. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat a Dutch oven with oil over medium-high heat. Add vegan sausage and saute until sausage is browned on the outside, ~5 minutes.
- Add onions, bell peppers, and celery and saute until tender, ~5 minutes. Add rice, tomato paste, zucchini, garlic, and spice mix and saute for 1 minute to coat rice in spices.
- Add tomatoes (including liquid), stock, and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover pan and simmer until rice is tender, ~20 minutes.
- While jambalaya simmers, chop green onions (both white and green parts).
- Season with some salt, pepper, and some hot sauce (if you’d like). Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Top jambalaya with green onions and serve with a spoonful of yogurt. Enjoy!
This meal has 49 reviews
Easy and delicious.
Would make this again. Lots of leftovers and it fits in the Dutch oven with 8 servings
Very good. And simple enough for even me to cook!
Made it with mild italian sausage as my kids are not huge spicy food lovers. Otherwise made as written - it was loved by all!
Made it just as the recipe is written and it was delicious! Flavorful and a good balance of ingredients. Such an easy one pot meal. Will definitely be making again!