with shrimp / sausage / rice
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Bell peppers, green - 1, diced
- Celery - 3 stalks, diced
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Sausage, andouille (pre-cooked or smoked) - 8 oz, sliced (this can be spicy, so sub any mild pre-cooked sausage if you prefer)
- Cajun seasoning - 3 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Rice, uncooked white - 1 cup (preferably long grain)
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Stock, any type - 2 cups
- Bay leaves - 2
- Green onions - 2 stalks, white and green parts chopped and combined
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - for serving
- Shrimp - Defrost shrimp.
- Onions / Bell peppers / Celery / Garlic / Sausage - Prep as directed. Combine onions, bell peppers, and celery. Store garlic and sausage in separate containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine Cajun seasoning, thyme, and oregano. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat a Dutch oven with oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage and saute until sausage is browned on the outside, ~5 minutes. Drain off excess oil.
- Add onions, bell peppers, and celery and saute until tender, ~5 minutes. Add rice with garlic, tomato paste, and spice mix and saute for 1 minute to coat rice in spices.
- Add tomatoes (including liquid), stock, and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover pan and simmer until rice is tender, ~20 minutes.
- While jambalaya simmers, chop green onions (both white and green parts).
- Stir shrimp into jambalaya and put the lid back on. Simmer for 5 minutes more, until shrimp is pink and cooked through. Season with some salt, pepper, and some hot sauce (if you’d like). Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Top jambalaya with green onions and serve with a spoonful of yogurt. Enjoy!
It was good! I simmered too high, but that was my bad. Will make again.0 Helpful
Very good, but next time I will leave out the onion/celery mix for the picky eater or at least cut them larger so it's easier to pick them out. Spice level with andouille sausage was perfect. Will make again.0 Helpful
Easy and delicious.0 Helpful
Would make this again. Lots of leftovers and it fits in the Dutch oven with 8 servings0 Helpful
Very good. And simple enough for even me to cook!0 Helpful