Jambalayawith shrimp / sausage / rice
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Bell peppers, green - 1, diced
- Celery - 3 stalks, diced
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Sausage, andouille (pre-cooked or smoked) - 8 oz, sliced (this can be spicy, so sub any mild pre-cooked sausage if you prefer)
- Cajun seasoning - 3 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Rice, uncooked white - 1 cup (preferably long grain)
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Stock, any type - 2 cups
- Bay leaves - 2
- Green onions - 2 stalks, white and green parts chopped and combined
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - for serving
- Shrimp - Defrost shrimp.
- Onions / Bell peppers / Celery / Garlic / Sausage - Prep as directed. Combine onions, bell peppers, and celery. Store garlic and sausage in separate containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine Cajun seasoning, thyme, and oregano. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat a Dutch oven with oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage and saute until sausage is browned on the outside, ~5 minutes. Drain off excess oil.
- Add onions, bell peppers, and celery and saute until tender, ~5 minutes. Add rice with garlic, tomato paste, and spice mix and saute for 1 minute to coat rice in spices.
- Add tomatoes (including liquid), stock, and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover pan and simmer until rice is tender, ~20 minutes.
- While jambalaya simmers, chop green onions (both white and green parts).
- Stir shrimp into jambalaya and put the lid back on. Simmer for 5 minutes more, until shrimp is pink and cooked through. Season with some salt, pepper, and some hot sauce (if you’d like). Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Top jambalaya with green onions and serve with a spoonful of yogurt. Enjoy!
This meal has 49 reviews
Easy and delicious.
Would make this again. Lots of leftovers and it fits in the Dutch oven with 8 servings
Very good. And simple enough for even me to cook!
Made it with mild italian sausage as my kids are not huge spicy food lovers. Otherwise made as written - it was loved by all!
Made it just as the recipe is written and it was delicious! Flavorful and a good balance of ingredients. Such an easy one pot meal. Will definitely be making again!