Beef and Quinoa Soupwith celery / carrots / baguette
Hearty and comforting, this classic soup got great reviews when first featured in 2017.
Smarts: This soup requires 45 to 60 minutes of hands-off simmer time to tenderize the beef. If you are short on time, make the soup ahead. It tastes even better a day or two later.
Smarts: This recipe could be made in the Instant Pot. For tips, join the Cook Smarts Instant Pot Facebook Group.
- Carrots - 6 oz, chopped
- Celery - 3 stalks, chopped
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Beef, stew meat - 1 lb
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, beef - 5 cups
- Bay leaves (opt) - 2
- Quinoa - 1/3 cup
- Lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
- Baguette, gluten-free small (opt) - 1
- Carrots / Celery / Onions - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Season beef - Toss beef with salt, garlic powder, thyme, and red pepper flakes. Tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Green onions - Slice green onions, combining green and white parts. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a Dutch oven with oil over medium-high heat. Add beef and saute until beef is brown on the outside, 7 to 8 minutes (don’t worry if it’s not cooked through). Set beef aside and return pan to heat.
- Add butter and then carrots, celery, and onions to melted butter. Saute until vegetables are starting to soften, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and cook for 1 minute more.
- Pour stock and bay leaves over vegetables and add beef back to pan. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes to let the flavors come together.
- Add quinoa and continue simmering until beef and quinoa are tender, 20 to 25 minutes more.
- Stir lemon juice into soup and season with some salt and pepper.
- Divide soup between bowls. Enjoy with yogurt and green onions on top and baguette on the side.
This meal has 35 reviews
Was good. Would double the barley next time.
Really love this soup. Relatively easy and so tasty. I've made it three times now and will be making it for years to come!
Loved the flavor! Used beef broth instead of water.
Great flavour! Love the spice combination.
Substituted the heck out of this one, but what we ended up with was great. Used Gardein beef tips and vegetable broth to make vegetarian, doubled the butter, and used wild rice in place of the barley. Had to cook for an extra 20 minutes for the rice, but all the extra cooking time made the (non-)beef tips nice and tender.
Excellent soup. Will be making again.