Chicken Divanwith broccoli / pasta
This community member request gets a Cook Smarts twist with chicken and broccoli baked in a light but creamy sauce.
Smarts: To give the simple flavors of this dish a boost, we've added a few aromatics and rich, nutty Gruyere cheese.
- Broccoli florets - 10 oz, chopped
- Shallots - 2 cloves, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Cheese, gruyere - 3 oz, shredded (sub Swiss cheese)
- Green onions - 2 stalks, sliced, green and white parts combined
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, cubed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Flour, all-purpose - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 2 cups
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Pasta, fusilli or rotini - 8 oz
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 2 Tbsp, grated
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/2 cup
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Heat oven to 350F / 177C. Fill a large pot with salted water and bring it to a boil while cooking chicken and broccoli.
- While oven heats / water boils, place broccoli florets in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave on high for 1 1/2 minutes. (This should just get them started cooking before they continue cooking in the oven. If you like your broccoli more tender add an extra minute or two.)
- Heat an oven-safe skillet or Dutch oven with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until chicken is lightly browned on the outside, but not cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Set chicken aside and return pan to heat.
- Reduce heat under the pan to medium and add butter and shallots, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- When butter is melted, add flour and stir until no dry spots of flour remain. Add vinegar and stock while whisking. Bring to a simmer and simmer until stock thickens slightly, ~2 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- Add chicken back to pan with broccoli, garlic, gruyere cheese, and red pepper flakes (if using). Stir everything to combine with sauce.
- Stir together parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, panko breadcrumbs, and olive oil. Season with some salt and pepper. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the chicken and broccoli mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, until chicken is cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes (depending on size of chicken pieces).
- While chicken bakes, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Serve chicken over pasta with green onions on top. Enjoy!
This was okay... Not out of this world.0 Helpful
We really enjoyed this! For those saying it was bland, I just upped the spices (as I find we tend to do with most recipes) and thought it had great flavor. The chicken took a bit longer to cook through in the oven but other than that no changes. And I definitely simmered it longer as I tried to power through some dishes but the result was really creamy and delicious!0 Helpful
I really liked this and it was fast and easy0 Helpful
This was an ok take on healthier chicken divan, but didn’t quite hit the spot for me.0 Helpful
Tasty. Needed a little something, but not sure what.0 Helpful
Delicious. Doubled the garlic, added some extra pepper flakes, and baked it for about twice the time (I used a 12-inch cast iron skillet) to make sure the chicken was cooked and the bread crumb topping browned up. Company-worthy.0 Helpful