Chicken with Lemon Pan Sauce with broccoli / carrots
A simple pan sauce adds flavor and creaminess to this classic meal of chicken and roasted vegetables.
- Shallots - 2 cloves, chopped
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, halved
- Green onions - 2 stalks, sliced, green and white parts separate
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Arrowroot powder - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Broccoli florets - 10 oz, chopped
- Carrots - 1 1/2 lbs, sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Broccoli / Carrots / Shallots - Prep as directed. Combine broccoli and carrots. Store shallots separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice in half. Cover with plastic wrap or parchment paper and then flatten with a meat tenderizer, until about 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Green onions - Slice green onions, keeping white and green parts separate. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- Toss broccoli and carrots with cooking oil (portion for vegetables) and spread out onto a sheet pan. Season with some salt and pepper. Roast until tender, 25 to 30 minutes, shaking the pan halfway through cooking.
- When vegetables are nearly tender, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil (portion for chicken) and then chicken to heated oil. Sear chicken on both sides until golden brown and cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes total. Set chicken aside and return pan to heat.
- Reduce heat under the pan to medium and add butter, shallots, and white parts of green onions, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- When butter is melted, add arrowroot powder and stir until no dry spots remain. Add vinegar and stock while whisking. Bring to a simmer and simmer until stock thickens slightly, ~2 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Stir in lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken over roasted vegetables with pan sauce and green parts of green onions on top. Enjoy!
This meal has 44 reviews
I thought this meal was delicious! My sauce was plenty thick until I added my broccoli without thinking about the fact I had put water in my dish to make it more tender. I thought there was plenty of flavor too!
Solid comfort food of warm, cheesy chicken and pasta. It wasn't our favorite but we would make it again if it appeared on the menu.
I cooked the sauce longer than listed and it did not thicken up much for me. The 3 year old and 1 year old were fans but the adults were disappointed.
Did it slightly different. I used frozen broccoli and added it straight to pan...instead of baking I covered the pan until broccoli was cooked. Stirred in the cheese at the end. Really good! Since I did not bake I didn't do step 7 with the parm topping.
Made paleo chicken with lemon pan sauce and added green lentil pasta to it. Delicious and nice sauce. Well received all mixed.
Made it with vegan stock and tofu, added garlic powder, smoked paprika, and chili flake to the sauce and it turned out great!