Chicken Divanwith broccoli / pasta
This community member request gets a Cook Smarts twist with chicken and broccoli baked in a light but creamy sauce.
Smarts: To give the simple flavors of this dish a boost, we've added a few aromatics and rich, nutty Gruyere cheese.
- Broccoli florets - 10 oz, chopped
- Shallots - 2 cloves, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Cheese, gruyere - 3 oz, shredded (sub Swiss cheese)
- Green onions - 2 stalks, sliced, green and white parts combined
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, cubed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Flour, all-purpose - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 2 cups
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Pasta, fusilli or rotini - 8 oz
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 2 Tbsp, grated
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/2 cup
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Heat oven to 350F / 177C. Fill a large pot with salted water and bring it to a boil while cooking chicken and broccoli.
- While oven heats / water boils, place broccoli florets in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave on high for 1 1/2 minutes. (This should just get them started cooking before they continue cooking in the oven. If you like your broccoli more tender add an extra minute or two.)
- Heat an oven-safe skillet or Dutch oven with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until chicken is lightly browned on the outside, but not cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Set chicken aside and return pan to heat.
- Reduce heat under the pan to medium and add butter and shallots, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- When butter is melted, add flour and stir until no dry spots of flour remain. Add vinegar and stock while whisking. Bring to a simmer and simmer until stock thickens slightly, ~2 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- Add chicken back to pan with broccoli, garlic, gruyere cheese, and red pepper flakes (if using). Stir everything to combine with sauce.
- Stir together parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, panko breadcrumbs, and olive oil. Season with some salt and pepper. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the chicken and broccoli mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, until chicken is cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes (depending on size of chicken pieces).
- While chicken bakes, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Serve chicken over pasta with green onions on top. Enjoy!
This meal has 44 reviews
I made a double batch and baked in a 9x13 casserole dish. Served to guests and it was a hit (kids ate it pretty well too). I chopped up the broccoli very fine so the kids wouldn’t notice it much. Would do that again!
This was really tasty - solid comfort food.
Chicken was delicious and easy to make
Soooo good. This will definitely be put in our rotation!
Wasn't sure how this would be different than chicken and broccoli, but it was good. Using a good cheese made this a step up, and the leftovers were great as well.
This was delicious. A great comfort meal and heats up for leftovers beautifully.