Roasted Sweet Potato Rounds with Sausagewith fried eggs / green salad
Roasted sweet potato rounds are topped with Italian sausage and finished with a fried egg for a protein-packed dinner that is totally unique. A fresh salad adds crunch and a hint of sweetness on the side. This unique meal was praised as simple and satisfying when it was first featured in 2017.
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, 1/2" / 1.3 cm slices
- Italian seasoning - 2 tsp
- Sausage, Italian mild or spicy - 12 oz
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
- Celery - 1 rib, sliced
- Lettuce, green leaf - 1 head, chopped
- Apples - 1, chopped
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Sweet potatoes - (If prepping right before cooking, start oven heating before returning to prep.) Slice sweet potatoes into 1/2" / 1.3 cm rounds. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Celery - Slice celery. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Apples - Prep as directed and combine.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Brush a sheet pan with some oil and spread sweet potatoes in a single layer on pan. Brush tops of sweet potato rounds with some oil and season with some salt and pepper. Roast potatoes until tops are starting to turn golden brown (they will not be cooked all the way through), 6 to 8 minutes.
- While sweet potatoes roast, whisk together vinegar, mustard, and olive oil in a large mixing bowl. Top with celery, lettuce, and apples (wait to toss salad until just before serving).
- Remove sweet potatoes, flip and brush with some more oil. Season with some additional salt and Italian seasoning. Place a spoonful of sausage on top of each potato round. Return pan to oven and continue baking until sweet potatoes are tender and sausage is cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- While sweet potatoes finish cooking, heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then crack eggs into heated oil. Season eggs with some salt and pepper. Fry eggs to desired doneness (cook on one side for sunny-side up, or flip and cook on both sides).
- Divide sweet potato rounds between serving plates. Top them with fried eggs. Toss salad and serve on the side. Enjoy!
It was fine. Would try with cheddar next time.0 Helpful
Absolutely delightful. I poached eggs instead of frying. And put an egg on each half.0 Helpful
Hummus with gruyere was pretty weird. Very salty, and I usually like salt. For leftovers, we tried it with cheddar, which was better, but in general this one was just a miss for us.0 Helpful
Was very pleased with how filling the vegetarian version was. The paleo was quite happy with their version.0 Helpful
Very simple and delicious0 Helpful
This was a very easy and delicious weeknight meal.0 Helpful