Croque Madame on English Muffins
and green salad with celery and apples
We've put our own twist on this French bistro favorite that was praised as simple and satisfying when it was first featured in 2017. Warm, open-faced ham and cheese sandwiches are topped with fried eggs while a fresh salad adds crunch and sweetness on the side.
- Cheese, gruyere - 4 oz , shredded or thinly sliced (sub Swiss cheese)
- English muffins, gluten-free - 4 , halved (sub gluten-free sandwich bread)
- Foil - for cooking
- Mayonnaise - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp
- Black forest ham, thinly sliced - 8 oz
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
Salad with Celery and Apples:
- Celery - 1 rib , sliced
- Lettuce, green leaf - 1 head , chopped
- Apples - 1 , chopped
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Cheese / Celery - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Apples - Prep as directed and combine.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Turn on the oven's broiler (use the lowest broiler setting if your oven has multiple settings).
- While oven heats, whisk together vinegar, mustard (the portion for the salad), honey, and olive oil in a large mixing bowl. Top with celery, lettuce, and apples (wait to toss salad until just before serving).
- Slice English muffins in half. Line a sheet pan with foil and place English muffins on pan, cut-side up. Broil English muffins until just starting to turn golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Combine mayonnaise and mustard (the portion for the Croque Madame).
- Remove English muffins from oven and spread with mayonnaise / mustard. Top each half with ham and cheese. Return pan to oven and continue broiling until cheese is melted and starting to brown on top (watch it closely to prevent burning).
- While English muffins toast, heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then crack eggs into heated oil. Season eggs with some salt and pepper. Fry eggs to desired doneness (cook on one side for sunny-side up, or flip and cook on both sides).
- Divide English muffins between serving plates, leaving them open-faced. Top each pair of English muffins with a fried egg. Toss salad and serve on the side. Enjoy!