Croque Madame on English Muffins
and green salad with celery and apples
- Cheese, gruyere - 4 oz, shredded or thinly sliced (sub Swiss cheese)
- English muffins - 4, halved
- Foil - for cooking
- Mayonnaise - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp
- Black forest ham, thinly sliced - 8 oz
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
- Celery - 1 rib, sliced
- Lettuce, green leaf - 1 head, chopped
- Apples - 1, chopped
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Turn on the oven's broiler (use the lowest broiler setting if your oven has multiple settings).
- While oven heats, whisk together vinegar, mustard (the portion for the salad), honey, and olive oil in a large mixing bowl. Top with celery, lettuce, and apples (wait to toss salad until just before serving).
- Slice English muffins in half. Line a sheet pan with foil and place English muffins on pan, cut-side up. Broil English muffins until just starting to turn golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Combine mayonnaise and mustard (the portion for the Croque Madame).
- Remove English muffins from oven and spread with mayonnaise / mustard. Top each half with ham and cheese. Return pan to oven and continue broiling until cheese is melted and starting to brown on top (watch it closely to prevent burning).
- While English muffins toast, heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then crack eggs into heated oil. Season eggs with some salt and pepper. Fry eggs to desired doneness (cook on one side for sunny-side up, or flip and cook on both sides).
- Divide English muffins between serving plates, leaving them open-faced. Top each pair of English muffins with a fried egg. Toss salad and serve on the side. Enjoy!
Popular with the whole family. Will make it as a breakfast without the salad as well.0 Helpful
Loved these! Made more work for ourselves by making the English muffins from scratch but they were so good! Also poached the eggs and they came out perfectly. Yum!!0 Helpful
YUM! Didn't make the salad but the sandwiches are absolutely delicious! Definitely making this again.0 Helpful
Tasty, but why so high in fat? Would it be possible to watch out for that in the future?0 Helpful
Used bacon instead0 Helpful
Quick and pretty good ham sandwiches. I agree that it’d be better as a real croque madame with the bechamel.0 Helpful