Croque Madame on English Muffinsand green salad with celery and apples
- Cheese, gruyere - 4 oz, shredded or thinly sliced (sub Swiss cheese)
- English muffins - 4, halved
- Foil - for cooking
- Mayonnaise - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp
- Black forest ham, thinly sliced - 8 oz
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
- Celery - 1 rib, sliced
- Lettuce, green leaf - 1 head, chopped
- Apples - 1, chopped
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Cheese / Celery - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Apples - Prep as directed and combine.
- Turn on the oven's broiler (use the lowest broiler setting if your oven has multiple settings).
- While oven heats, whisk together vinegar, mustard (the portion for the salad), honey, and olive oil in a large mixing bowl. Top with celery, lettuce, and apples (wait to toss salad until just before serving).
- Slice English muffins in half. Line a sheet pan with foil and place English muffins on pan, cut-side up. Broil English muffins until just starting to turn golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Combine mayonnaise and mustard (the portion for the Croque Madame).
- Remove English muffins from oven and spread with mayonnaise / mustard. Top each half with ham and cheese. Return pan to oven and continue broiling until cheese is melted and starting to brown on top (watch it closely to prevent burning).
- While English muffins toast, heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then crack eggs into heated oil. Season eggs with some salt and pepper. Fry eggs to desired doneness (cook on one side for sunny-side up, or flip and cook on both sides).
- Divide English muffins between serving plates, leaving them open-faced. Top each pair of English muffins with a fried egg. Toss salad and serve on the side. Enjoy!
This was tasty and quick, so great for a weeknight!0 Helpful
Everyone loved it. I skipped the salad and made a spinach banana smoothie with it and that was also a hit. Would do that again. Definitely going in the favorites list!0 Helpful
I omitted the salad and turned this into breakfast. I can't eat eggs, but a toasted English muffin with hummus and cheese was a tasty way to start the day.0 Helpful
I thought it was delicious. It was a little rich for my daughter, but I will def be making this again....the dressing and side salad were the perfect accompaniment!0 Helpful
Had paleo and original the first time in 2017 and again this time. Doesn’t seem super healthy, but always well received.0 Helpful
This was an excellent meal. The dressing for the salad - AMAZING!!!! It was all amazing. I might make this my regular Sunday brunch. I am having it again tomorrow!!!0 Helpful