Croque Madame on English Muffins
and green salad with celery and apples
- Cheese, gruyere - 4 oz, shredded or thinly sliced (sub Swiss cheese)
- English muffins - 4, halved
- Foil - for cooking
- Mayonnaise - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp
- Black forest ham, thinly sliced - 8 oz
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
- Celery - 1 rib, sliced
- Lettuce, green leaf - 1 head, chopped
- Apples - 1, chopped
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Turn on the oven's broiler (use the lowest broiler setting if your oven has multiple settings).
- While oven heats, whisk together vinegar, mustard (the portion for the salad), honey, and olive oil in a large mixing bowl. Top with celery, lettuce, and apples (wait to toss salad until just before serving).
- Slice English muffins in half. Line a sheet pan with foil and place English muffins on pan, cut-side up. Broil English muffins until just starting to turn golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Combine mayonnaise and mustard (the portion for the Croque Madame).
- Remove English muffins from oven and spread with mayonnaise / mustard. Top each half with ham and cheese. Return pan to oven and continue broiling until cheese is melted and starting to brown on top (watch it closely to prevent burning).
- While English muffins toast, heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then crack eggs into heated oil. Season eggs with some salt and pepper. Fry eggs to desired doneness (cook on one side for sunny-side up, or flip and cook on both sides).
- Divide English muffins between serving plates, leaving them open-faced. Top each pair of English muffins with a fried egg. Toss salad and serve on the side. Enjoy!
Very tasty. We all liked it. I made it as written and wouldn’t change anything. I will make it again, Always take me twice as long to make the meals as stated?0 Helpful
It was fine. Would try with cheddar next time.0 Helpful
Absolutely delightful. I poached eggs instead of frying. And put an egg on each half.0 Helpful
Hummus with gruyere was pretty weird. Very salty, and I usually like salt. For leftovers, we tried it with cheddar, which was better, but in general this one was just a miss for us.0 Helpful
Was very pleased with how filling the vegetarian version was. The paleo was quite happy with their version.0 Helpful
Very simple and delicious0 Helpful