Lemon-Pepper Chicken over Kale Caesar Saladand artichokes / croutons
The combination of kale and romaine lettuce give this version of Caesar Salad a more nutritious twist while still retaining the classic crunch. Top the salad with lightly breaded lemon-pepper chicken.
Smarts: For a flavorful, golden-brown crust, sear the chicken in a bit of melted butter. Butter needs to be kept at a lower temperature than oil to keep from burning, so adjust the heat so that the chicken cutlets cook slowly without burning.
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, halved
- Flour - 1/3 cup
- Lemon zest - 2 tsp
- Black pepper - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Flatbreads, like naan - 2 small, cubed
- Kale, any type - 1 bunch, stems removed and leaves shredded
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 hearts, shredded
- Artichokes, marinated in oil (6.5 oz / 184 g) - 1 jar, drained and rinsed
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Anchovy filets (opt) - 2, mashed (more to taste)
- Mayonnaise - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Worcestershire sauce - 1 tsp (sub soy sauce)
- Oil, olive - 4 Tbsp
- Make Caesar dressing - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing.) Chop garlic. Mash garlic and anchovy filets together with a fork. Add mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce. Add olive oil while whisking. If you prefer a smooth dressing, you can blend it with an immersion blender. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Flatbreads - Slice flatbreads into small cubes for croutons. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice chicken in half. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Kale / Lettuce - Prep as directed and combine.
- Artichokes - Drain and rinse. If the artichoke hearts are quite large, you can roughly chop them.
- Make breading - Combine flour, lemon zest, black pepper, and salt.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- Spread flatbread cubes out on a sheet pan. Drizzle with some cooking oil and toss to combine. Transfer to oven and bake, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, until flatbread cubes are crisp, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Heat a large nonstick pan with butter over medium heat.
- Dredge chicken in breading, shaking off any excess, and place over melted butter. Gently sear chicken on both sides until golden brown and cooked through, ~3 minutes on each side. (Do this in batches if needed.)
- Set chicken aside and squeeze lemon juice over top. Slice when cool.
- Give dressing a stir. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper, if needed.
- To assemble salads, toss together kale, lettuce, artichokes, flatbread croutons, and some of the dressing. Top salads with chicken and drizzle with some more dressing if you’d like.
This meal has 32 reviews
This was fabulous! Skipped the croutons and it was still good!
Best recipe yet!
Loved it! Through some caramelized squash cubes on instead of the croutons, which gave it that starchy heartiness.
I'd back off the garlic a bit in the dressing because I felt like it was really strong, but otherwise we really liked this.
Made the dressing over the weekend so it all came together pretty quickly night of. Chicken was amazing, as was the dressing. Used thighs, didn't bother with the romaine. Favorited for future reference!