Lemon-Pepper Chicken over Kale Caesar Salad
and artichokes / croutons
Smarts: For a flavorful, golden-brown crust, sear the chicken in a bit of melted butter. Butter needs to be kept at a lower temperature than oil to keep from burning, so adjust the heat so that the chicken cutlets cook slowly without burning.
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, halved
- Flour - 1/3 cup
- Lemon zest - 2 tsp
- Black pepper - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Flatbreads, like naan - 2 small, cubed
- Kale, any type - 1 bunch, stems removed and leaves shredded
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 hearts, shredded
- Artichokes, marinated in oil (6.5 oz / 184 g) - 1 jar, drained and rinsed
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Anchovy filets (opt) - 2, mashed (more to taste)
- Mayonnaise - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Worcestershire sauce - 1 tsp (sub soy sauce)
- Oil, olive - 4 Tbsp
- Make Caesar dressing - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing.) Chop garlic. Mash garlic and anchovy filets together with a fork. Add mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce. Add olive oil while whisking. If you prefer a smooth dressing, you can blend it with an immersion blender. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Flatbreads - Slice flatbreads into small cubes for croutons. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice chicken in half. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Kale / Lettuce - Prep as directed and combine.
- Artichokes - Drain and rinse. If the artichoke hearts are quite large, you can roughly chop them.
- Make breading - Combine flour, lemon zest, black pepper, and salt.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- Spread flatbread cubes out on a sheet pan. Drizzle with some cooking oil and toss to combine. Transfer to oven and bake, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, until flatbread cubes are crisp, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Heat a large nonstick pan with butter over medium heat.
- Dredge chicken in breading, shaking off any excess, and place over melted butter. Gently sear chicken on both sides until golden brown and cooked through, ~3 minutes on each side. (Do this in batches if needed.)
- Set chicken aside and squeeze lemon juice over top. Slice when cool.
- Give dressing a stir. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper, if needed.
- To assemble salads, toss together kale, lettuce, artichokes, flatbread croutons, and some of the dressing. Top salads with chicken and drizzle with some more dressing if you’d like.
Delicious! Used store-bought croutons and will make double the dressing next time.0 Helpful
I added this to my meals for the week and it was very good! I added a bit more lemon because I had more chicken. The Caesar dressing was outstanding and I didn’t even use anchovy’s. I loved the naan croutons and they were even crunchier the next day. I just wish cooking chicken on stovetop was less messy.0 Helpful
I made the regular version of the Caesar dressing (with technically the vegetarian version of the meal) and thought the dressing was fantastic. Without the chicken I wished there was a little more to this meal, but it was a good classic salad.0 Helpful
Really liked the chicken, made my salad different because I don’t love kale.0 Helpful
Doubled the garlic for the dressing and it was perfect.0 Helpful
We used only baby kale and I massaged a little bit of olive oil and salt into the kale about 30 minutes before we ate. We also used store bought dressing but it was delicious and we will definitely make it again!0 Helpful