Portobello Mushroom, Sausage, and Swiss Chard Sautewith fried egg
This speedy weeknight saute is made up with layers of pan-seared sausage and finished with nutritious Swiss chard and mushrooms. Top the saute with a fried egg for some extra protein and creaminess.
- Sausage, any pre-cooked or smoked variety - 16 oz, sliced (chicken apple sausage is a great option)
- Swiss chard - 8 leaves, stems removed and chopped, leaves torn
- Mushrooms, portobello - 2, sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Sausage - Slice sausage. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chard / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat a skillet or wok with first part of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage and saute until golden brown, ~3 minutes.
- Add chard stems. Saute until chard is tender, ~2 minutes. Add chard leaves and mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are lightly browned, ~2 minutes more. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Set sausage, mushrooms, and chard aside, covered to keep warm.
- Heat a nonstick pan with second part of cooking oil over medium heat. Crack eggs into heated oil and cook on one side until whites are set and yolks are still runny, ~4 minutes. (Note: if you’d like your eggs to be more cooked through, cover the pan with a lid as the eggs cook.)
- Divide sausage, mushroom, and chard saute between serving plates. Top with fried eggs. Season the top of the eggs with some salt and pepper. Serve with hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy!
This meal has 37 reviews
Added fresh sage to the sauté and it was excellent!
I would skip adding the salt to the garlic oil. Mine didn't seem to incorporate well, so I ended up with spots that were really salty. Otherwise this was tasty.
Pretty good. Even the kids ate it. Used baby kale instead of chard and sliced brown mushrooms for simplicity.
This was such a surprise, I was expecting moans and groans but it was a big hit. I used garlic and coriander naans as the base, cheddar cheese and sweetheart cabbage instead of chard. The salad was also well received, will definitely make again.
I used a broccoli crust from trader joes and it was so delish!
Great! Always feel like white pizza is a cheat, but this was super. Used whole grain lavash-bread, toasted in oven a bit before we loaded up the mushrooms. Lots of garlic in the oil. Like a super fresh cracker crumb pizza. Used mozzarella cheese.