Portobello Mushroom and Swiss Chard Flatbread
with green salad with pears
Topped with melted cheese, these little flatbreads resemble pizza when they come out of the oven, but are super speedy to make. A simple garlicky olive oil stands in for sauce as the base and is topped with sauteed chard and mushrooms.
Smarts: Gruyere cheese has a uniquely rich and tangy flavor that adds a lot to these simple flatbreads. It can be a bit pricey, so feel free to use mozzarella or Swiss cheese if you prefer.
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Cheese, gruyere - 6 oz, shredded (sub mozzarella or Swiss cheese)
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Swiss chard - 4 leaves, stems removed and chopped, leaves torn
- Mushrooms, portobello - 2, sliced
- Flatbreads, like naan - 4 small
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Pears - 1, sliced
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 hearts, shredded
- Garlic / Cheese - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make garlic oil - Combine garlic, olive oil (portion for flatbread), and salt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together mustard, honey, and vinegar. Add olive oil (portion for salad) while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chard / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Pears / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- Spread flatbreads out in a single layer on a sheet pan (use two sheet pans if needed).
- Heat a skillet or wok with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add chard stems. Saute until chard is tender, ~2 minutes. Add chard leaves and mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are lightly browned, ~2 minutes more. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Brush flatbreads with garlic oil. Top with chard, mushrooms, and cheese. Transfer to oven and bake until cheese is melted, ~5 minutes.
- While flatbreads bake, toss together pears and lettuce. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- Slice flatbreads into wedges. Serve with salad on the side. Enjoy!
I wish there was a way to rate this a 6 star. Major favorite. Second time I made with a mix of mushrooms and everyone loved it.0 Helpful
This is so delicious using the gruyere, as opposed to the mozzarella. Fantastic, salty yumminess!0 Helpful
Added fresh sage to the sauté and it was excellent!0 Helpful
I would skip adding the salt to the garlic oil. Mine didn't seem to incorporate well, so I ended up with spots that were really salty. Otherwise this was tasty.0 Helpful
Pretty good. Even the kids ate it. Used baby kale instead of chard and sliced brown mushrooms for simplicity.0 Helpful
This was such a surprise, I was expecting moans and groans but it was a big hit. I used garlic and coriander naans as the base, cheddar cheese and sweetheart cabbage instead of chard. The salad was also well received, will definitely make again.0 Helpful