Portobello Mushroom and Swiss Chard Flatbread with green salad with pears
Topped with melted cheese, these little flatbreads resemble pizza when they come out of the oven, but are super speedy to make. A simple garlicky olive oil stands in for sauce as the base and is topped with sauteed chard and mushrooms.
Smarts: Gruyere cheese has a uniquely rich and tangy flavor that adds a lot to these simple flatbreads. It can be a bit pricey, so feel free to use mozzarella or Swiss cheese if you prefer.
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Cheese, gruyere - 6 oz, shredded (sub mozzarella or Swiss cheese)
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Swiss chard - 4 leaves, stems removed and chopped, leaves torn
- Mushrooms, portobello - 2, sliced
- Flatbreads, like naan - 4 small
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Pears - 1, sliced
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 hearts, shredded
- Garlic / Cheese - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make garlic oil - Combine garlic, olive oil (portion for flatbread), and salt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together mustard, honey, and vinegar. Add olive oil (portion for salad) while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chard / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Pears / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- Spread flatbreads out in a single layer on a sheet pan (use two sheet pans if needed).
- Heat a skillet or wok with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add chard stems. Saute until chard is tender, ~2 minutes. Add chard leaves and mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are lightly browned, ~2 minutes more. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Brush flatbreads with garlic oil. Top with chard, mushrooms, and cheese. Transfer to oven and bake until cheese is melted, ~5 minutes.
- While flatbreads bake, toss together pears and lettuce. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- Slice flatbreads into wedges. Serve with salad on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 35 reviews
Pretty good. Even the kids ate it. Used baby kale instead of chard and sliced brown mushrooms for simplicity.
This was such a surprise, I was expecting moans and groans but it was a big hit. I used garlic and coriander naans as the base, cheddar cheese and sweetheart cabbage instead of chard. The salad was also well received, will definitely make again.
I used a broccoli crust from trader joes and it was so delish!
Great! Always feel like white pizza is a cheat, but this was super. Used whole grain lavash-bread, toasted in oven a bit before we loaded up the mushrooms. Lots of garlic in the oil. Like a super fresh cracker crumb pizza. Used mozzarella cheese.
we really liked this! and it was fast and easy too. we made the salad with cucumbers instead of lettuce (my husband can't eat it) and it was super delicious.