with pineapple / bell peppers / quinoa
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 2 tsp , grated
- Brown sugar - 3 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Water - 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Quinoa, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 3/4 cup
- Coconut milk, light - 3/4 cup
Teriyaki Tofu with Pineapple and Bell Peppers:
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz , sliced into 1/2" / 1.3 cm "steaks" (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Onions, medium and red - 1 , cubed
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , cubed
- Bell peppers, green - 1 , cubed
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts combined
- Pineapple, fresh or canned and drained - 1 1/2 cups , cubed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick slices, like “steaks”. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Onions / Bell peppers (both colors) - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make coconut quinoa - (Skip if made ahead for Tuesday.) Combine quinoa with stock and coconut milk in a saucepan. Add some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make teriyaki sauce - (Skip if made ahead for Tuesday.) Chop garlic. Grate ginger. In a small saucepan, combine garlic, ginger, sugar, soy sauce, first portion of water, and vinegar. Simmer on medium heat until sugar dissolves, ~3 minutes. Whisk together cornstarch and second part of water. Add cornstarch mixture to sauce and continue cooking until sauce thickens, ~2 minutes more. Stir in toasted sesame oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green onions. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Pineapple - If using fresh pineapple, cube. If using canned pineapple, drain.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Season tofu with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then sear tofu on both sides until golden brown. (Do this in batches if needed.)
- Place tofu around the sides of the skillet (it’s okay if it’s overlapping a bit). Place onions, bell peppers, and pineapple in the center of the skillet and over the top of tofu.
- Transfer skillet to the oven and bake until onions and peppers are tender but still have some crunch, 12 to 15 minutes.
- In the last minute of cooking, pour half the teriyaki sauce over the tofu and onions / bell peppers / pineapple. (Reserve the other half of the sauce for serving.)
- If quinoa was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve tofu, onions, bell peppers, and pineapple over quinoa. Drizzle any remaining teriyaki sauce over top. Finish with green onions.