Italian Wedding Soup
with white beans / orzo / herb and cheese bread
- Green onions - 2 stalks, white and green parts chopped and combined
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Cheese, parmesan - 1/4 cup, grated
- Baguette, small - 1 (sub any Italian-style roll)
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Carrots - 8 oz, chopped
- Chard, any type - 4 leaves, leaves and stems chopped and separate
- Beans, cannellini (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed (sub any white beans)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Cheese, parmesan rind, (opt) - 1
- Pasta, orzo - 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 2 oz, grated
- Heat oven to 375F / 191C degrees.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then onions, carrots, and chard stems to heated oil with a pinch of salt. Saute until softened, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and oregano until fragrant, ~1 minute more.
- Add stock and parmesan rind (if using) and bring soup to a simmer.
- While soup simmers, prep herb and cheese bread by mashing butter with green onions (white and green parts) and parmesan (portion for bread). Slice baguette open lengthwise and spread cut-side with butter.
- Place bread onto a sheet pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until golden.
- While bread bakes, return to soup and add orzo. Simmer until orzo is nearly tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add beans and chard leaves. Continue to simmer soup until beans are warmed through.
- Cut herb and cheese bread into slices.
- Move soup off heat and stir in lemon juice. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Serve some extra grated parmesan cheese on top if you’d like. Enjoy bread on the side.
Did 1/2 chicken sausage and 1/2 ground chicken to make the meatballs and it turned out! Will do all sausage next time and see how it goes.0 Helpful
Fantastic! I doubled the meatballs and froze half, used 1 lb beef & 1 lb turkey. Used spinach instead of chard, and used 2 packs of miropoix mix. Needed all of the broth as well.0 Helpful
Used spinach instead of chard but otherwise followed the recipe. We loved this!0 Helpful
Delicious! I think maybe there were a few too many meatballs, but overall I loved it.0 Helpful
Straightforward, quick & easy weeknight meal. I read the reviews before I cooked & decided to double the seasoning. Unfortunately, it still needed even MORE seasoning. Other than that, it was just ok.0 Helpful
The vegetarian version was bland and boring.0 Helpful