Italian Wedding Soup
with turkey meatballs / lentils
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts separate
- Turkey, ground - 1 lb (look for ground dark meat turkey if available; sub ground beef or pork)
- Eggs - 1
- Panko breadcrumbs, gluten-free - 1/4 cup (sub any gluten-free breadcrumbs)
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
Italian Wedding Soup with Meatballs:
- Onions, medium - 1 , diced
- Carrots - 8 oz , chopped
- Chard, any type - 4 leaves , leaves and stems chopped and separate
- Turkey meatballs (ingredients listed separately) - ~12 , halved
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Cheese, parmesan rind, (opt) - 1
- Lentils, pre-cooked - 1 cup (look for vacuum-packed or canned)
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 2 oz , grated
- Onions / Carrots / Chard - Prep as directed. Combine onions, carrots, and chard stems in one container. Store chard leaves separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green onions, keeping green and white parts separate. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make meatballs - (Skip if made ahead for Tuesday.) Mix white parts of green onions (reserve green parts), ground turkey, eggs, panko, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Form into 1” / 2.5 cm meatballs. Brush a sheet pan with some oil and spread meatballs out on the sheet pan. Bake at 375F / 190C degrees until meatballs are cooked through, 16 to 20 minutes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Halve meatballs - Slice meatballs in half (or quarters if meatballs are large).
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then onions, carrots, and chard stems to heated oil with a pinch of salt. Saute until softened, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and oregano until fragrant, ~1 minute more.
- Add stock and parmesan rind (if using) and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in meatballs, lentils, and chard leaves. Simmer until meatballs are warmed through.
- Move soup off heat and stir in lemon juice. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve soup with grated parmesan and green parts of green onions sprinkled over top if you’d like. Enjoy!