Teriyaki Mushroom and Bell Pepper Stir-Fry
with broccolini / coconut quinoa
Smarts: Tonight's meal will take a bit of extra time, but if you make double batches of teriyaki sauce and coconut quinoa, the bulk of the work for the rest of this week's meals will be done.
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 2 tsp, grated
- Brown sugar - 3 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Water - 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Broccolini - 12 oz, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Bell peppers, any color - 2, cubed
- Mushrooms, shiitake - 8 oz, sliced (sub any brown)
- Green onions - 2 stalks, sliced, green and white parts separate
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Quinoa, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 3/4 cup
- Coconut milk, light - 3/4 cup
- Make coconut quinoa - (Double if making Thursday’s meal.) Combine quinoa with stock and coconut milk in a saucepan. Add some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make teriyaki sauce - (Double if making Thursday’s meal.) Chop garlic. Grate ginger. In a small saucepan, combine garlic, ginger, sugar, soy sauce, first portion of water, and vinegar. Simmer on medium heat until sugar dissolves, ~3 minutes. Whisk together cornstarch and second part of water. Add cornstarch mixture to sauce and continue cooking until sauce thickens, ~2 minutes more. Stir in toasted sesame oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccolini / Bell peppers - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms / Green onions - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then mushrooms and white parts of green onions to heated oil. Saute until golden and tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add bell peppers and broccolini with a pinch of salt and continue cooking until broccolini is tender but still has a bit of crunch, about 2 minutes more.
- Add teriyaki sauce (reserve half if doubled) and toss everything together to combine.
- If quinoa was made ahead, reheat in the microwave (reserve half if doubled).
- Serve stir-fry over quinoa with green parts of green onions on top. Enjoy!
We loved this!0 Helpful
Very delicious and flavorful! Will make again!0 Helpful
Good easy meal.0 Helpful
This was tasty! I made my sauce thicker based on some reviews but then realized that a thinner sauce works better for this recipe so the sauce can get down to the rice! (I served mine as true bowls, with rice at the bottom). Used frozen broccoli and it was fine (just microwave it first for a bit so that it doesn't steam in the oven and get soggy).0 Helpful
It was a good meal. I used ground chicken and it turned out well.0 Helpful
We prefer these with beef.0 Helpful