Teriyaki Turkey Meatballs
with broccolini / coconut quinoa
These family-friendly bowls got great reviews when featured in 2017. Meatballs and teriyaki sauce are always favorites among our community members, so we love this opportunity to combine them!
Smarts: Tonight's meal will take a bit of extra time, but if you make double batches of meatballs, teriyaki sauce, and coconut quinoa, the bulk of the work for the rest of this week's meals will be done.
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separate
- Turkey, ground - 1 lb (look for ground dark meat turkey if available; sub ground beef or pork)
- Eggs - 1
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/4 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 2 tsp, grated
- Brown sugar - 3 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Water - 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Broccolini - 12 oz, trimmed
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Quinoa, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 3/4 cup
- Coconut milk, light - 3/4 cup
- Make coconut quinoa - (Double if making Thursday’s meal.) Combine quinoa with stock and coconut milk in a saucepan. Add some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make teriyaki sauce - (If prepping right before cooking, get meatballs and broccolini roasting before continuing with prep.) (Double if making Thursday’s meal.) Chop garlic (portion for sauce). Grate ginger. In a small saucepan, combine garlic, ginger, sugar, soy sauce, first portion of water, and vinegar. Simmer on medium heat until sugar dissolves, ~3 minutes. Whisk together cornstarch and second part of water. Add cornstarch mixture to sauce and continue cooking until sauce thickens, ~2 minutes more. Stir in toasted sesame oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccolini / Garlic (portion for broccolini) / Green onions - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make meatballs - (Double if making Wednesday’s meal.) Mix white parts of green onions (reserve green parts), ground turkey, eggs, panko, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Form into 1” / 2.5 cm meatballs. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 375F / 190C degrees.
- Brush a sheet pan with some oil and spread meatballs (include meatballs for Wednesday if doubled) out on a sheet pan.
- Toss broccolini with garlic and oil and spread out on a second sheet pan. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Transfer both sheet pans to the oven and bake, shaking the pans halfway through cooking, until meatballs are cooked through and broccolini is tender, 16 to 20 minutes.
- If teriyaki sauce and / or quinoa were made ahead, reheat in the microwave (remember to reserve half of both if doubled).
- Squeeze lemon juice over broccolini.
- Combine meatballs (reserve half if doubled) with teriyaki sauce. Serve over quinoa with green parts of green onions on top and broccolini on the side. Enjoy!
We loved this!0 Helpful
Very delicious and flavorful! Will make again!0 Helpful
Good easy meal.0 Helpful
This was tasty! I made my sauce thicker based on some reviews but then realized that a thinner sauce works better for this recipe so the sauce can get down to the rice! (I served mine as true bowls, with rice at the bottom). Used frozen broccoli and it was fine (just microwave it first for a bit so that it doesn't steam in the oven and get soggy).0 Helpful
It was a good meal. I used ground chicken and it turned out well.0 Helpful
We prefer these with beef.0 Helpful