Prosciutto Wrapped Chickenwith lemony garlic broccoli / orzo
- Garlic - 2 cloves, sliced
- Broccoli - 1 1/4 lbs, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, fontina - 4 slices, shredded or torn into pieces (sub provolone or swiss)
- Pasta, orzo - 1 cup
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 2, butterflied and flattened
- Basil, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Prosciutto, thinly sliced - 6 slices
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Wine, white - 1/4 cup (sub stock)
- Cheese / Garlic / Broccoli - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pasta - Cook according to package directions.
- Chicken breasts - Butterfly chicken breasts by slicing chicken breast in half, making sure you don’t slice all the way through so that the two halves are still connected. Open up chicken breasts, like opening a book. Place parchment paper over breasts and pound with a tenderizer, until breasts are about 1/2” / 1.25 cm thick. Sprinkle with basil with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. Spread cheese on one half of each chicken breast. Fold chicken breasts closed and wrap each stuffed chicken breast with 3 slices of prosciutto. Watch this video to see how it's done. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 375F / 191C.
- Toss oil (portion for broccoli) with garlic and broccoli. Spread out on a sheet pan. Roast, shaking pan halfway through cooking, until broccoli is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- While broccoli is roasting, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil (portion for chicken) and then prosciutto-wrapped chicken breasts to heated oil. Sear on each side for 2-1/2 minutes and then transfer to the oven, cooking for another 8 to 15 minutes, until chicken reaches 165F / 74C.
- When broccoli is finished, toss with lemon juice and butter. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Stir cornstarch into stock.
- When chicken breasts are done, remove from pan to rest. Place skillet over medium heat and pour in white wine, scraping up any bits remaining in the pan. Next add stock and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, until sauce is thick and creamy.
- If pasta was made ahead, reheat in the microwave. Toss with a splash of oil if the pasta sticks together.
- Slice chicken breasts and serve over pasta. Spoon sauce over top. Enjoy with broccoli on the side.
This meal has 42 reviews
We loved this just as much the second time! Can't wait for leftovers.
I found this to be a bit salty (may be my fault) and not as flavorful as I wanted. I made several modifications that may messed things up a bit. I used red wine instead of white (what I had) and the sauce didn't thicken up much. I may have skimped on the cheese a bit too. Had sauteed spinach instead of broccoli. Orzo was a bit bland. stuffing the chicken and wrapping in prosciutto was not as hard as I imagined.
Excellent! Great flavor combinations. We will definitely make again.
This was very good! I wish I would have done something more to flavor up the inside of the chicken though, maybe some extra spices?
This was very good. The chicken took 5 - 10 minutes longer than expected.
This was very good but on the heavy side with the added protein. Used sherry because we didn't have white wine - it was good but will say it didn't really "go" with spinach and artichokes.