Leftover Carnitas Soup with hominy / chayote / cabbage
With carnitas made earlier in the week, this soup has many different textures and flavors.
Smarts: Store-bought salsa is an easy way to build another layer of flavor into the soup. Be sure to use a salsa that is mild if you prefer less spice.
- Chayote squash - 8 oz, chopped (sub zucchini)
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Peppers, poblanos - 1, diced (sub green bell pepper)
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Hominy - 1 1/2 cups, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Slow-cooker carnitas (leftover from Monday) - ~3 cups
- Coleslaw mix - 10 oz
- Salsa, store-bought - 1/2 cup
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch, chopped
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Sour cream (opt) - for serving
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then onions, poblanos, jalapenos, and garlic. Saute until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add chayote, hominy, and stock. Bring to a simmer.
- When soup is simmering, stir in carnitas, coleslaw mix, and salsa.
- Simmer until chayote and coleslaw are tender, ~10 minutes.
- While soup simmers, chop cilantro.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in lime juice. Season with some salt and pepper. If you’d like the soup spicier, stir in some hot sauce.
- Divide soup between bowls and top with sour cream and cilantro. Enjoy!
This meal has 33 reviews
Very good, yummy flavors. Hominy was a fun add since it's not something we ever eat!
Not very filling.
So delicious! We loved the hominy in the soup and the soyrizo. We added some bread on the side for dipping the leftover broth!
Good enough so I went up a star. Something wasn't quite right to wow us. Maybe the leftovers will be better tomorrow.
This was SUPER good.
Made this in the throes of a head cold and it was so delicious. I think. It’s hard to taste anything right now but the spices cleared up my sinuses for a bit! ...substituted frozen corn for hominy, and chipotle for jalapeños.