Leftover Carnitas Soup
with hominy / chayote / cabbage
With carnitas made earlier in the week, this soup has many different textures and flavors.
Smarts: Store-bought salsa is an easy way to build another layer of flavor into the soup. Be sure to use a salsa that is mild if you prefer less spice.
- Chayote squash - 8 oz, chopped (sub zucchini)
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Peppers, poblanos - 1, diced (sub green bell pepper)
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Hominy - 1 1/2 cups, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Slow-cooker carnitas (leftover from Monday) - ~3 cups
- Coleslaw mix - 10 oz
- Salsa, store-bought - 1/2 cup
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch, chopped
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Sour cream (opt) - for serving
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then onions, poblanos, jalapenos, and garlic. Saute until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add chayote, hominy, and stock. Bring to a simmer.
- When soup is simmering, stir in carnitas, coleslaw mix, and salsa.
- Simmer until chayote and coleslaw are tender, ~10 minutes.
- While soup simmers, chop cilantro.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in lime juice. Season with some salt and pepper. If you’d like the soup spicier, stir in some hot sauce.
- Divide soup between bowls and top with sour cream and cilantro. Enjoy!
This was very good! Though I think a large part of that is because we got spiced Tofurky soyrizo, which essentially turned it into chili. Might have been a little bland otherwise. This also ended up being twice as many meals as listed (we got 8 servings out of the 4-serving recipe) with very few dishes. All-in-all, an excellent weeknight option.0 Helpful
It was perfect! So easy and good. I used less broth because I like a heartier bowl and used zucchini and bell peppers to save $ and make it milder. Loved it.0 Helpful
This made a lot of soup!0 Helpful
I’m a habitual spice-adder so I threw in some coriander and Mexican oregano with the sautéed veggies. Lots of lime on top and hot sauce (I used mild salsa for the kid’s sake). It was good!0 Helpful
Flavors were a little bland, but easy to make!0 Helpful
Fine, but nothing special.0 Helpful