Leftover Carnitas Soup with hominy / chayote / cabbage
With carnitas made earlier in the week, this soup has many different textures and flavors.
Smarts: Store-bought salsa is an easy way to build another layer of flavor into the soup. Be sure to use a salsa that is mild if you prefer less spice.
- Chayote squash - 8 oz, chopped (sub zucchini)
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Peppers, poblanos - 1, diced (sub green bell pepper)
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Hominy - 1 1/2 cups, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Slow-cooker carnitas (leftover from Monday) - ~3 cups
- Coleslaw mix - 10 oz
- Salsa, store-bought - 1/2 cup
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch, chopped
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Sour cream (opt) - for serving
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then onions, poblanos, jalapenos, and garlic. Saute until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add chayote, hominy, and stock. Bring to a simmer.
- When soup is simmering, stir in carnitas, coleslaw mix, and salsa.
- Simmer until chayote and coleslaw are tender, ~10 minutes.
- While soup simmers, chop cilantro.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in lime juice. Season with some salt and pepper. If you’d like the soup spicier, stir in some hot sauce.
- Divide soup between bowls and top with sour cream and cilantro. Enjoy!
This meal has 33 reviews
This was good, and SO quick to make with the prep done in advance! I added some extra salsa and hot sauce to mine and thought it had a good flavor. Thanks for the useful sub suggestions in the recipe - I was able to find poblano peppers but not chayote, and it was great that I didn't have to puzzle over what to use instead.
We found this surprisingly bland. It wasn't bad, just not much flavor. I did try a different stock than usual so perhaps that was the culprit.
Delicious, and as with all soups made out of leftovers, easy to make.
OMG... this is SO good! I will definitely make this again.
Simple and the lime adds great flavor.
The soup was amazing! It has great during the rainy weather southern California was having. I also really liked that there were a lot of vegetables packed into the soup.