Leftover Carnitas Soup with hominy / chayote / cabbage
With carnitas made earlier in the week, this soup has many different textures and flavors.
Smarts: Store-bought salsa is an easy way to build another layer of flavor into the soup. Be sure to use a salsa that is mild if you prefer less spice.
- Chayote squash - 8 oz, chopped (sub zucchini)
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Peppers, poblanos - 1, diced (sub green bell pepper)
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Hominy - 1 1/2 cups, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Slow-cooker carnitas (leftover from Monday) - ~3 cups
- Coleslaw mix - 10 oz
- Salsa, store-bought - 1/2 cup
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch, chopped
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Sour cream (opt) - for serving
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then onions, poblanos, jalapenos, and garlic. Saute until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add chayote, hominy, and stock. Bring to a simmer.
- When soup is simmering, stir in carnitas, coleslaw mix, and salsa.
- Simmer until chayote and coleslaw are tender, ~10 minutes.
- While soup simmers, chop cilantro.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in lime juice. Season with some salt and pepper. If you’d like the soup spicier, stir in some hot sauce.
- Divide soup between bowls and top with sour cream and cilantro. Enjoy!
This meal has 33 reviews
eh - a little bland and i was tired of eating carnitas!
2 of us liked it. 2 hated it.
Used corn (instead of hominy) and zucchini, easy and perfect for a cold winter night!
This is amazingly good. Really filling and flavorful, and just spicy enough for my taste.
Wasn't excited for this but made it anyway and I'm glad I did. Just added a little Yuzu hot sauce and it was awesome!
Super quick to make, loved the spice level! Thanks for introducing me to hominy!