Leftover Carnitas Soup
with hominy / chayote / cabbage
With carnitas made earlier in the week, this soup has many different textures and flavors.
Smarts: Store-bought salsa is an easy way to build another layer of flavor into the soup. Be sure to use a salsa that is mild if you prefer less spice.
- Chayote squash - 8 oz, chopped (sub zucchini)
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Peppers, poblanos - 1, diced (sub green bell pepper)
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Hominy - 1 1/2 cups, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Slow-cooker carnitas (leftover from Monday) - ~3 cups
- Coleslaw mix - 10 oz
- Salsa, store-bought - 1/2 cup
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch, chopped
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Sour cream (opt) - for serving
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then onions, poblanos, jalapenos, and garlic. Saute until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add chayote, hominy, and stock. Bring to a simmer.
- When soup is simmering, stir in carnitas, coleslaw mix, and salsa.
- Simmer until chayote and coleslaw are tender, ~10 minutes.
- While soup simmers, chop cilantro.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in lime juice. Season with some salt and pepper. If you’d like the soup spicier, stir in some hot sauce.
- Divide soup between bowls and top with sour cream and cilantro. Enjoy!
Couldn’t find hominy, so maybe that would make a difference... but it wasn’t spectacular... loved the carnitas bowls earlier in the week though!!0 Helpful
Preferred the bowl more than the soup, but this was still good!0 Helpful
Delicious and easy!0 Helpful
So good!0 Helpful
Vegetarian didn’t like it, could be soyrizo problem. Paleo liked it better than the original carnitas!0 Helpful
Good use of leftover carnitas.0 Helpful