Honey Adobo Chopped Chicken Salad with avocado / queso fresco / black beans
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Lettuce, romaine - 8 oz, chopped
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, diced
- Avocados - 1, cubed
- Limes - 1/2, wedges
- Corn kernels, frozen or canned - 1 cup
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, queso fresco - 4 oz, crumbled (sub Mexican Blend)
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Adobo sauce - 2 tsp (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo)
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Sour cream - 1 Tbsp (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Make Adobo marinade - Whisk together vinegar, honey, adobo sauce, and paprika. Add oil (portion for marinade) while whisking. (Wait to add sour cream.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate chicken - Chop chicken into bite-sized pieces and tenderize with a fork. Combine with half the Adobo marinade (reserve the other half). Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green onions, combining green and white parts. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Cucumbers / Avocados / Limes - Prep as directed.
- Corn - If using frozen, defrost. If using canned, drain and rinse.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Whisk sour cream into remaining half of Adobo marinade.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add first portion of oil (for salad). Use a slotted spoon to remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and transfer to heated skillet. Saute until chicken is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper as it cooks.
- Set chicken aside and add second portion of cooking oil (for salad) to heated skillet. Add corn and beans and saute until heated through, ~2 minutes.
- Make salad by combining lettuce, cucumbers, green onions, and avocados. Add dressing until dressed to your liking.
- Top salad with chicken, corn / black beans, and cheese. Serve with lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 21 reviews
Wonderful flavors! I used the same technique with chicken and (separately) tofu, both were really good. I made brown rice for my greens avoiders. Great meal, we will add this one to our rotation.
Super easy and good
I used kale and probably should have used less dressing. Great base idea.
Love this meal. Although I would have preferred putting the chicken on the grill instead of sauteing on the stove.
Loved the dressing although I left adobo out.
Made a adobo sauce from a sub recipe we found online, and wound up with extra. It worked out well because I accidently added the sour cream (we subbed yogurt because that's what we had) too early, so I used the extra to make marinade. We loved the flavors together. Might add a little sour cream/ yogurt on top next time, too.